View Single Post
      07-14-2020, 07:23 AM   #18
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

I bought my home 6 years ago in May. I do enjoy living in my home, but if I had to do it over again; I would have bought a condo. Although I do have a girlfriend and it seems as if it's more work than a marriage most days, I live alone and work 50-55 hours/week. Add gym time, girlfriend time and work that needs to be done around the house just to maintain....there simply aren't enough hours in the day for it all. I'm seriously considering selling my home and getting a condo. I despise only having 2 days off a week and those 2 days are spent doing home repairs, gardening, landscaping etc. Would be different if I spent more time at home to actually enjoy my home; but technically it's nothing more than a box to keep my stuff and where I go to sleep, shower and change clothes. In order to be in the place I am, it requires sacrifice; that sacrifice is sleep and constantly rushing from one thing to the next just to get it all done everyday. There is no time for relaxation or to even sit down for a bit. My friends and I have all agreed for years, home ownership is not what it's cracked up to be. I did pay cash for my home. If I had to finance, I would just rent and let the owner deal with the headaches. I still feel like the "American Dream" (go to school, make good grades, go to college, get a degree, get married, buy a house, have kids, etc.) we were sold years ago is bullshit. In my experience, the grass is greener on the other side, but once you see how much dedication goes into making said lawn as green as possible, unless you have the time to devote, it doesn't stay green long.....and if you work and have a personal life, you don't have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Exactly. As unless you own the house free and clear of a mortgage, you really don't "own" the house. Technically, you never do as you have to pay property taxes in perpetuity. Watch what happens if you don't pay your taxes.
This.
zx10guy5149.50