View Single Post
      01-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

Well Ian thanks for the tip...I was hearing a drive train noise that I had tracked down to a SIB indicating it was likely due to the propeller shaft spline flange at the differential. I took the car to Island Motorsport a couple of weeks back and showed them the SIB. They put the car on a hoist, told me the noise was in the differential and explained how they would remove and rebuild it...contrary to BMW's statement on the SIB not to replace the differential. So I left and drove to R&W to discuss the issue with them. Today, I spent the morning at R&W Motorsport and the service was great.

Long story cut short, Sam dropped the exhaust and heat shields, removed the propeller shaft. He found slop in the area where the two propeller shaft sections are mated so he added an o-ring and some silicone to the splines and tightened it all up. He also applied locktite to the splines in the differential flange. The result is a nice quiet drive train again. The differential is fine as suspected.
While Sam had the Z on the hoist he removed the CDV valve for me and applied lithium grease to the shifter rod ball above the drive shaft (the old grease was pretty much dried out).
Then Sam checked the suspension and steering components as well as topped up the radiator and replaced the plastic caps on the top pf the shock towers that apparently has been chewed off by a Rat (should I call the PO and tell him he has a rat problem...lol).
All this wa done for a 2 1/2 hour labour charge so I am extremely pleased.
I cannot say enough good things about R&W Motorsport.

BTW...for anyone that does not know, Sam and Joe formerly managed Island Motorsport and I venture to say a great deal of the IMS reputation is based on the service Sam and Joe provided prior to leaving and starting their own business at R&W Motorsport. I highly recommend R&W services and I will be using them as my primary source for my Z4 service requirements from here on.

Thank you Ian for recommending them....Ian
Appreciate 0