View Single Post
      09-01-2020, 11:55 PM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
I've had the MyQ system for the past 7 years, however I don't recommend it. At least not if you are using a retrofit setup for older openers that don't have it built in. The MyQ retrofit wall switches go bad after 4-7 years. When they do, they cause the garage door to randomly open. It happened to me twice when each of the two wall switches went bad. The second wall switch went bad just last week in the middle of the night. I thought someone broke into my garage until I realized the issue.

I believe there is a capacitor that stops charging after a while and when it does it activates the opener switch. Terrible design fault and a huge security issue.

I'm not sure if this issue exists with newer openers that have MyQ built in.

I have a Zwave automation system at home and was looking at a zwave garage controller but those seem to have issues as well.
What switch are you talking about? Neither of my openers have MyQ built in and there is no switch. Just the base unit and the door sensor to tell the base unit if the garage door is down or up. If the door sensor goes bad, it won't trigger the base unit to open the garage door.