bailyhill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: '20 X3 30e

Soft Focus on the Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
So I've had some issues with my camera body (Canon 70D) and kit lens 18-135mm IS STM Lens since I've purchased it back in April 2015.

When taking photos with this lens the left side of the pictures are soft and out of focus, you will see evidence of this throughout my photos on this thread. I brought both he camera body and lens into one of Canons factory here in NJ to have it diagnosed and repaired. The camera and lens was returned to me repaired / adjusted to factory specs according to Canon techs. I tested the camera and found that the left side was still soft and was not satisfied. I returned to Canon and complained about the out of focus on the left side of the photos and a new problem. When looking through the viewfinder and taking a picture I found that the actual photos do not line up. This was also true while taking pictures using the LCD screen. I took the first photo to demonstrate this for the Canon techs.. He took the second picture to confirm.

Canon said that they will look into this and once again repair it to the factory specifications. I just received my camera and lens yesterday and have not had to test the out of focus lens but I did do a quick alignment picture and found that its not centered still. Interestingly it is centered if I take a photo using the screen versus the viewfinder.

I take pictures using the view finder exclusively.

What are your thoughts, should I send in the camera once again to have it repaired or adjusted?
Hello
I don't think the problem is necessarily your lens, as far as the soft images on the left side of the photos. Your CCD chip might not perpendicular to the optical axis of your camera. Does this happen with other lens' or only the 18-135? Does the problem go away with your other lens? Can you
use this lens on another camera, and see if the soft focus affects the second camera. Perhaps, the camera shop where you bought it will allow you to put your lens on another camera. Also take a new 18-135 lens with your present camera, and see if the focus is soft left. Now you will be able to see if its the lens or the camera. The fact that the view finder is off but the photo is centered when you use the screen, suggests to me that the chip is tilted. The bad news is that this cannot be fixed by the NJ service center, but must be done by the factory. Not sure the Factory would try.

Swap the lens and body and let us know what happens.

PS: I am not a photographer, but have lots of experience with Astronomy CCD cameras, and chip tilt is a common issue. Some companies make an accessory to tilt the camera body to fix this. This accessory is not designed for use with a DSLR.

Sin_Gas