View Single Post
      02-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #82
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 540i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Looking for advice on getting a Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens from amazon for $149. The 50mm lens is great but I want to get a wider angle lens without having to spend too much money.
I know you didn't ask me but I seem to love giving you my advice lol.

I want to elaborate on what Dave said. I did not look at his link and I really don't need to because it's a general rule that lens image quality tends to improve universally when stopped down.

With a wide angle lens you will usually be taking pictures of things that are very large in close proximity or capturing an entire scene like a landscape that will usually include things close to you and things far away that you want to see in focus.

That means it's typical to shoot that type of lens stopped down at least to F4 and probably even F8 or more. Most lenses are at their best between F5.6 and F8.

Dave gave you the right answer, I just like that people understand why so it can help them in the future.

Even more... Wide angle lenses are probably where image quality and how sharp a lens is won't matter as much as with other lenses. Even so, pretty much everything sold today that can be purchased new is at least serviceable if you stop it down, even if you have to use a tripod in lower light.

Most landscape photographers use a tripod. It can be a necessity when stopping down the Aperture of a lens to the point the shutter is too slow to hand hold.

When you stop down a lens you are mostly using the center most part that has the least amount of distortion and flaws.

Ok I'm done.

Ask Dave another question lol