09-29-2018, 06:51 PM   #5739
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
No worries, glenn. IMHO, it can be a cost savings and/or a labor of love depending on the situation. It just depends on how far down the rabbit hole you go.

For reference, it costs me $45 to have my lawn mowed/trimmed. If I wasn't using a company that already did 3 other nearby lawns, that'd cost would go up. If I got a mid-ish range riding mower for 2k, it'd pay for itself in less than 2 mowing seasons and I have better control over when/how my lawn is mowed.

Double pass core aerating & split seeding the back & sides + single pass aerating in front was something like around $700 after some 'discounts'. I could rent a manual core aerator for a couple hundred bucks a day (but have to transport it). A towed spike aerator is about the same cost to own. Not quite apples/apples, but still. One could split the cost of a rental w/ neighbors but my neighborhood is acre lots so I'd need more neighbors to buy-in to make it worthwhile.

It is arguable how often one aerates and really needs to overseed but landscaping isn't necessarily cheap. For reference, my cost #'s are for approx 32k sq ft of yard.

Note, too, that I haven't even gotten to fertilizing and weed control.

Buying equipment for it all definitely costs more upfront, but if it is used regularly over time it will pay itself off. Plus, not taking care of your lawn can lead to other expenses. Again, how far down the rabbit hole you go also makes a difference, too.
I have 20k of lawn so the lawn maintenance quoted me like $600 for the month which didn't include weed/bug spray or any kind of fertilizing. All could be done but with additional cost. Aerating just like you mentioned would have to be rented from HD. So I think in the long run I would be saving since the cost of all the equipment would pay off in the first year. I see me doing this myself for at least 20 more years
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg