Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
I feel like I'm doing marketing right now.

I'm marketing Fords products as a salesman.
Not the same my friend. I'm 30 years ahead of you.
Even people who work their dream jobs eventually become tired or are fired.

At the director level at my company... I see the skills and talent difference with college grads versus those who are self-taught/self-made.
(As I also do hiring.)

Education - even as seemingly useless as a college can be - the dgree gives you more options, not less.

Look at it this way... you and another guy are 10 years into Ford... and there's a management position open. Both of you with the same work background, but one with and one without a degree. I'm telling you, from my experience, the degree guy gets picked everytime. Right or wrong, it happens everyday.

A friend of mine is a product manager at McLaren. Yes THAT McLaren. He didn't got to college. There you go. Easy right?
Just got into McLaren and now he's traveling the world doing F1 events and meeting celebrities.

NO.

He started at Ford after a tech school apprenticeship in fuel systems. Ford hired him to work on fuel systems. He worked his way up and eventually was designing fuel systems. Then the powertrain systems... then the car itself as a product manager... then 20 years later... Mclaren (and Telsa) asked him to join them.

Education is worth something. It opens more doors than brute forcing things. Heck I think about my marketing classes from college almost everyday. Synergy was a term I remember from class. But when you learned about it in class and have to make it happen on the job... it's easier because you learned about the pieces... and as a manager, it's a hell of a lot easier to make it happen when you have influence over multiple groups versus sitting in a silo that is a department.

But you have time...
I think all I need is a break from college.

maybe I'll got back in a year part-time and get a bachelor's in marketing/management