View Single Post
      09-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #45
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Well if that's the case then you have your answer about what to do about college. How you manage that situation with your parents so they get off your back is another matter.

Before you throw the notion of 2 more years of college out the window, please consider a couple of things:

Ask these GMs that told you a degree isn't important if they they got a degree. If the answer is no, I would question the validity of their advice for YOUR future.

Also consider that how cars are sold, both new and used, is rapidly changing. Just take a look at how its changed in the past 10 years. You want to be on the winning side of whatever changes are coming. An education could possibly give you an advantage.

Look, if you are dead set against investing a couple of more years in education, I would say don't do it just for your parent's sake. It's much easier to accomplish if you actually want it for yourself. I gave this advice to both my kids and they both decided on their own to get college degrees and they are doing great in their careers.

Whatever you do, best of luck!
x2

There are many facets of operating a business that getting those final 2 years could illuminate for you. It's always a good idea to have more credentials than those against whom you'll compete for a position. You'll have the advantage of experience, performance, and education.

Also: consider the possibility of perhaps one day wanting to own a dealership! You can consider classes in a management degree that will help you better understand financial management, etc..

I can't comment on the cultural aspect, other than to offer encouragement and say to pursue your dreams and aspirations. Your parents love you and want the best for you, but only you know how best to achieve that end goal for yourself.