09-15-2021, 09:31 PM   #1
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
How do I have a conversation with my parents about taking a hold of my own life?

I graduated high school in 2016. Since I was young, college was always put on top of my head as super important. I had plans of going to the local community college to get an associate's degree in Marketing.

That went downhill after my dad had a conversation with one of his friends who said no employer would hire an Asian guy with a marketing degree. They'd rather hire a white person (seems racist). So, my pops told me to get a degree in mechanical engineering since I am into cars. Tried that and couldn't pass the higher math courses. Even with help.

That was 2-3 years wasted at the community college. I finally decided to go back into the business and graduated after 5 years with an associates degree. Obviously, an associate's degree to Asian parents isn't enough.

I am 23 almost 24 (in Jan). I am currently a salesman at a local Ford Dealership. Love what I do. Aiming to become a Used car manager or Sales Manager. I've been there for almost 5 months and average 15 cars a month. Keep in mind this is my first sales job. The first month I started, I sold 10 cars made roughly 2k that month. The second month I sold 15 cars made $9k. The third month, I sold 17 cars (I was on vacation for 3 weeks. Only had 1 car out. Came back sold 16 in 3 weeks). Made $8k. The fourth month, I sold 18 cars and was salesman of the month. Made $6k.

My YTD roughly so far is $72k. Obviously, it's the car business. One month you can make $5k. The next, $11k. So YTD can change. My parents keep forcing school on me. Even though I am bringing in close to what my dad does and I am half his age.

They keep telling me to get a bachelor's degree because without it you can't get a good job, nice house, nice car or get married????? WTF? Can they not see I am happy with what I am doing now and I'm successful?. I can't have any kind of conversation with them without college being brought up.

They act like without a degree you can't do anything. I was walking with my mom today and noticed how my neighbor brought a new BMW X3 and she's like, " with a good education and a good-paying job you can buy things like that". I responded with, " a college education doesn't guarantee anything". She responds with, "well I want you to get your bachelor's degree. You've been in school for 6 years." It's not my fault I lost interest. All they talk about is school 24/7. Like school is god.

I honestly believe I can be successful and make money in the car business. The 2-3 years I'll spend in a university that I am paying to go to just to make my parents happy I can spend in the car business and build my way up.

My sisters been in school for 12-13 years.... I mean, she's doing what she wants to (she's getting her Ph.D. in physiology and biophysics) but spend that much time in any industry and you're going to be a manager of some sort making 6 figures a month easily (obviously not fast food). She'll be making roughly 87k/year with that Ph.D. Going to school for that long just to make 87k/year...

Idk how to talk to my parents about letting me do what I want to. Every time I try to bring it up college gets put into the picture.

Sorry about the long post. I had to let it out..