07-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #110
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
You’re right about the Evora. I was thinking more of the Elise, Exige, and the entirety of the Colin Chapman ethos. Did Lotus consider the Evora a sales success?

I think we’re saying the same thing about the Emira - it’s a Lotus Cayman. Roughly the same weight, price, chassis layout. So they have to straight up beat Porsche at the Cayman game. They aren’t taking the Elise strategy of even lighter and more hardcore.
Yup, that's another pt. I love what Lotus stands for: small/simplified cars, add lightness (Exige was my dream car back then) but the business model didn't work, there simply weren't enough enthusiasts willing to part w their $$$ and that's why Lotus almost went bankrupt and had to be rescued by Geely. The Eliges didn't make it to N Amer and the Evora was too compromised (sporty and capable but not compared to the Eliges being heavier and it was kinda laughable they thought it could compete w Porsche in the sport/luxury segment...the luxury simply wasn't there and there was no DCT option iirc).

Emira presents a fresh start and it looks promising for Lotus. Enthusiasts only have themselves to blame (since they didn't buy enough Loti) if they think it's a step in the wrong direction but I think it's a sign of the times and ppl need to face reality.

Last edited by tranquility; 07-09-2021 at 06:29 PM..