View Single Post
      08-07-2022, 11:29 AM   #13
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
The rule of thumb is to stick with the manufacturer of your main panel for a whole house protector. So in your case it would be Siemens. Here's one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-QSA20...eae8f9840&th=1

They're really pretty easy to install if your comfortable with electrical work. Pretty much all of them from what I've seen snap in like a normal breaker with a ground wire that needs to be attached to the grounding bus bar in the panel.

My panel is from Square D so I used one from them. Mine required a dual breaker that I then wired the surge protector to the breaker. The nice thing about the Square D setup is the system is modular. I can replace the line power surge protector separate from the land line phone and cable surge modules. The surge protector also has a status LED I can view as the setup is an auxiliary enclosure that mounts to the outside of the panel.
Thanks - I was looking at the Siemens FS140 which is more expensive and requires a dedicated 2-pole breaker. A bit more of an install but a lot more protection given the lightening around here. I’ve already replaced one of our AC air handlers because of a surge that fried the NLA control boards.
zx10guy5149.50