View Single Post
      09-25-2020, 06:53 PM   #65
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbym View Post
Just to comment on this in my perspective.

First of all, it's never going to be about the "average car buyer".
The average car buyer will buy an automatic car in a heartbeat because they are average. And the sales numbers prove that.

No, to WANT TO drive a manual daily means you're not average, you're a connoisseur.
For a daily, having a manual isn't about the best performance, convenience, or comfort.

It's about engagement. To me, if I want to driving a car, any car, I want the maximum connection between human and machine.
And only a 3 pedal proper stick in the middle transmission can provide that.

On a commute, when getting to a standing green at an intersection, heel toe down shift into second, gradual lift off brakes, maintenance throttle around the corner and then throttle out back into third. With the shift from 2nd to 3rd providing a momentary jolt.

Stopping at a red light on a slight incline, lift off brakes, the car rolls back. Release the clutch slightly with slight throttle, getting back to where it was. Inching forward with just controlling the throttle and clutch. The feeling of physically engaging and disengaging the engine and the wheels.

The car only does the things you want it to do. Everything single thing only works when done right. Messing up the heel toe, or letting out the clutch too fast/slow? the car shakes or stalls in anger.
The delicacy and the imperfection of a manual and the skill it takes to perfect it, makes it lovable and engaging.
In a way, a manual gives a car soul, makes it human.

Driving any auto (DCT PDK etc.) while much faster and smoother, will never provide the engagement when driving a manual.

Only a very small amount of drivers think this way and that's why autos are taking over.
So no, I will not try to convince the average car buyer to buy a manual daily, because you either get it or you don't.
What a great response. Thanks.

To the person who said the OP question is answered in the sales data, this response is the essence of it. Sales data will never reflect the reason why manuals are not gone already. poweredbym's response explains better than I ever could why manual is still a thing, albeit a dying thing.

I've thought for years about buying a weekend car with a manual to relive that connection that powerdbym so eloquently described. I'd pretty much given up the idea in favor of other priorities. Now, I'm going to have to rethink it.
OG///M1002.00