View Single Post
      08-19-2019, 02:28 AM   #25
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Yeah, I'm only 42, so I guess "not that long ago" needs some context. I kind of forgot I'm in a car forum, not a watch forum, so knowledge of watch history shouldn't be assumed. My bad.
Sure, the watchmaking industry is maybe 300-some odd years old and the clockmaking industry 1000 or so.
But rolex isnt around that long as a watchmaker. In rolex' history, 67 years (ago when the subby was launched) is also quite a long time ago.
Rolex isn't Breguet.

But still then rolex was a luxury brand, being swiss and having an arsenal of gold watches, automatic watches (also uncommon back then) and such.
The submariner was an early waterproof watch, something which still quite uncommon in the 50's, and therefore expensive.
It wasn't a brand the average man (joe worker in the car factory) wore or posessed, so definately not the g-shock of its day's.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-19-2019 at 02:38 AM..