View Single Post
      09-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #13
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I've driven both, manual in both. The M2 is just hardercore, if it didn't exist, then the 240i would be a great choice. 5k over MSRP at this point in time is BS, and likely they are just telling you that to try and push you over the fence to a car that they can sell you today. Like others have said yes the 240i is 10K cheaper, but comes with a lot less and personally I would option it up to M2 prices anyway. The M2 at MSRP is a bargain but you have to wait and you have more limited colors/interiors. The only other reasons to get a 240 over the M2 is if you have a sensitive back or are not an enthusiast or need AWD or want to lease it.

As for maintenance and repairs - yes BMW's are expensive to repair compared to an asian economy car and they are not that reliable. But you are talking about buying new and BMW give you free maintenance and warranty for the first 3-4 years. The only things not really covered are tires and brakes. After that make sure to pay to extend the warranty because in my experience it is worth it. Having said that the M2 has a proven engine that has been out for ~7 years and doesn't have major issues, while the 240 has a much newer engine with unknown reliability.

Also bear in mind the residual when you come to sell it. The M2 value should stay higher than the 240 which if you check the classifieds for prices of lightly used 235i's will tell you is not great.

Personally I would say that the M2 is the best BMW you can get today not only in performance and fun but in terms of cost of ownership too.
Appreciate 2