07-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
BavariaBavaria
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 320i x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Oli View Post
Hi,

So I've been saving up for a while now and have a bit of money in my pocket, and I was looking at E39s recently and realized I really wanted one. My question to this community, is an E39 as a first car a good choice? Keep in mind I live in Canada (rust, winter tires) but I am a student currently living with my parents and working a summer job to pay for my personal expenses. I am aiming at a 525i/528i/530i with a manual transmission and a sturdy enough car so that I can do roadtrips without worrying about it too much. Am I living in a dream world or are E39s good cars? I'd like to hear your thoughts!
I would recommend this decision! In my opinion you should just go with your intuition, check the market, see if there are any good offers. Of course the car will have issues and surprise you from time to time, but all BMW's do. I bet the driving pleasure will outweigh it. However you should study some material beforehand, get acquainted with some of the most popular video reviews of the models you like, check some oem manuals like this one E39 workshop manual and in general introduce yourself to the model to know how it is built and read some common issue topics to see
what to look out for when checking the car to buy! Good luck, I hope you find the right one!