United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
The mission drives the gear train.

What is your idea of a battle rifle? Do you want to shoot out to 50 yards? 100? 600?

For me, anything inside of 100 yards gets a RDS. So, personal defense and urban patrol rifles fall into that category. Speed is more important than precision. Still, beyond 50 yds could use a magnifier, time permitting.

From 100 out to 300 you'd be fine with a fixed power scope or a dedicated magnifier. And younger eyes can do that with iron sights.

If you want to reach beyond 300, you'll want better magnification. LPVOs work well here. I have no problem hitting at 600 with a 1-10x set on 8x. FYI, don't use the top of the magnification range. There is enough distortion there to throw-off your shots. So, if you think you need 8x, get a 10x scope.

Scopes are expensive. You'll pay as much for a high quality LPVO as you did for your rifle, and probably more.
I'm not concerned about cost when I know that the quality is there. My main apprehension to go to a LPVO instead of my current EXPS3+G45 is the reticle brightness and the clarity when zoomed all the way in. I was looking at the Vudu 1-10. This is for my Scar 16s and I would like it to be effective from 100-600