General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferizzo View Post
Contrary to belief, it was not Johan that wanted to move Cadillac to NYC:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/23/...w-cadillac-gm/

His undoing, again in my opinion, was that he clashed with GM leadership. He honestly wanted Cadillac to succeed, as do all the GM execs, but he clashed a lot with the established leadership.

There were pros and cons of moving Cadillac from GM HQ (not necessarily to NYC per se). One benefit I saw was that Cadillac got a bigger voice. You had people that only thought Cadillac as opposed to "GM." Read the above Interview...I enjoyed reading it and agree with Johan on some points. It was a good read.
Interesting. I remember the CBS News Sunday Morning having a piece on Cadillac's move to NYC coinsciding with the hiring of the new president some 18 months ago, or whenever it was. Maybe it was implied, but the piece made the two moves out as a new direction for Cadillac. I'll not argue the point, but as I said, all mainstream luxury manufacturers share platforms and components. The idea of an eclusive Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Oldsmobile engine died after the 1970s. I'm not sure the said downturn of the post CTS Cadillac company is because the engines are sourced from GM corporate.

I think Cadillac's mistakes with the ATS were (a) selling a low-content unit with the iron Duke in it, and (b) not offering a V6/manual trans combo. A V6 with a manual would have gotten me out of my E90.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-05-2019 at 12:45 PM..