View Single Post
      05-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #45
gcb821
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2015 - 328D

OP - as someone who commuted 15 miles to and from work in Los Angeles (405 only) for over a year straight on a motorcycle (CBR600RR), please take a few things into consideration, regardless of the bike you choose. Although I would suggest something along the lines of a Yamaha FZ 07.

One - taking a motorcycle safety course is important. Not just for the technical learning, but will also really tell you if you're even comfortable riding.

Two - relative speed. On the highway, I do not like lane splitting slowly. As others have pointed out, drivers will do any and everything, including jumping out of the HOV on double yellows, and without warning. Hence getting by them more quickly. Once you're past, ride at the speed you're comfortable. But I'd suggest spending as little time in their blind spots as possible.

Three - you must ride with the intent of going down. The saying of "those who have, and those who will" exists for a reason. Being mentally prepared for the worst will make sure you're as ready as you can be when/if that un-fun moment comes.

Four (and last) - Use earplugs or headphones to keep your mind engaged on your singular task. Personally, I must listen to music while riding to keep the chatter in my mind quiet.

I enjoyed having gone motorcycle only for the time that I did it, but it does have its trade-offs. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

Last edited by gcb821; 05-31-2019 at 01:15 PM..