01-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #5804
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
Ya the 2nd one was not my fav either but I figured I would post it. I did have it in AI servo but it kept back focusing and hunting. Honestly the T2i is not good with the AI servo I found and others say similiar. I used AI focus and one shot. The best results were with one shot center point selected. If I use the entire selection points in the AF selection point screen the camera just gets the focus wrong most of the time and can not get it unless the contrast is really good. I was told by a few people on the canon forums that center point is the best to use undless the camera has a really fast AF system like the 7D with all cross type points. Since the T2i only has the center point as cross type it is pointless to use all selection points or evaluative metering in most situations with moving targets. I was focusing on the Hawk then bumping the focus a few times to get it right. This only worked a few times to get it right. Next purchase was going to be a 7D but I am going to get the 100-400L for the reach, and then rent a 1.4 TC. I know they can degrade IQ and I have seen the result, but I also saw a guy yesterday post some amazing results with his 1.4 and 100-400. He said that once he stopped going all the way to max zoom and back it off a tad to 530mm instead of 560 the results were far sharper.
Sounds like you're ready for the 7D. You can get away with using the outside focus points with lots of light, but there are not too many, so it almost defeats the purpose unless you're doing portrait work where you can get a subject to stay still (5DII has the same AF system)

The 7D can select multiple center points at once in a + shape to give you 5 points of interest yet still centered on the subject, or even a square of 9 points in the center. This is a great way to go for moving subjects. If you activate all focus points, it's just too many too get wrong on the 7D, so it's nice that you can choose groupings of focus points. I still tend to shoot center only, unless i'm going for a sporting environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
If, if your 70-200mm is a 2.8, then you can use the 2.0x TC on a 7D and I'd suggest buying both a 1.4x and a 2.0x, but get the Series II version of the 1.4x and the Series III version of the 2.0x, if you can afford it.

Dave
what's the deal with the series II and series III anyhow? I heard it was an extra coating on the II, but that was long ago right before they were released. I'm sure there's lots of new info on them now. What's your overall experience with the newer ones at this point? And how are you liking the changes?