View Single Post
      02-06-2009, 03:32 AM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I don't know, if we wanted to say, "What's the point?" We could apply that question to about 85% of the threads on this forum!

I can only say that given my income level (I don't buy into the spend 1/2 annual salary on a car thinking), 40,300 is a lot for a car, and that was the base MSRP on my 335 when I bought it way back when in 12/06. That's 42,200 today. So it is unfavorable to buy a 2k9 v. 2k7--my 1,700 off is not even on equal ground to 3,600 off on a 2k9, as Logic 7 is now optional, and other option packages have also been increased in price. It does seem easy to market to Americans by giving them less for more. It's happened to many products we pickup in the grocery store--not only has the price gone up, but the box has gotten smaller. Those who justify BMW's pricing as consumers are simply a dream come true for marketers. They are somehow convinced that there are no alternatives, i.e. inelastic demand.

It's pretty hard to imagine that to most people, 40k is not a lot for a car, because it is. His other post I believe said his X5 cost 77k. To me, that's a lot of money for something assembled in SC. And with respect to ED, not the condition as I'm not saying the OP has it, to the program in Europe, my wife's coworker got his car through diplomatic sales. That's cheaper still and you don't have to fly off somewhere and take time off from work.
Appreciate 0