View Single Post
      06-22-2023, 11:55 AM   #317
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I wouldn't call many of those cars "fanboy" cars. Also, you seem to be very hung up on all out acceleration. For some of us, it's more than just straight line acceleration.

The CTR has always commanded a premium since intro decades (whether getting ADM or MSRP) and the CTR has always been a class-leading performer.

After a few months, the ITS will be available at MSRP and possibly below.

No one gets base model BMWs. A M240 RWD will set you back at least $53K with the common options and a 340 in the low to mid 60s. An ITS will likely outrun the 340 and 240 on a road course. In a drag race? The BMWs will easily take the win. Road course? Likely not and they'll be far more less engaging and muted.

The Zs will be selling for below MSRP soon. The excitement is over and the demand is LOW. I have yet to see one in Kansas City.

The BRZ/86 are entry level sports cars that are bargains for what they offer.

I have a 2011 Cayman 6MT base model with 265hp. That car is good for low 5 second 0-60s and maybe mid 13s@102mph. I also have a tuned 2016 M235 6MT with suspension and tires/wheels that can run mid 12s@112mph+. You know which car is FAR MORE FUN to drive and I'll take 90%+ of the time? The slower Cayman.
This line of thinking is standard. It's not all about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Those figures tell you very little about true performance of an automobile which is the genesis of these discussions. Performance and capability in a fulsome context anyway can only be measured on a proper race track. There's also another element that is often overlooked and that's driver engagement, or the way the car makes you feel. What I mean by that is: What type of steering feedback do you get from the car when you drive at 7/10ths, 8/10ths? What about flat out? How does the car perform when not on track? How is the seat positioned? Is the clutch travel appropriate? Is the pedal box spaced in a way that's conducive to spirited driving? How does the transmission feel? Is the car fun? And on and on...

Ask yourself this, is the fastest car you've ever owned (1/4 and 0-60) the best car you've ever owned? In many cases, the answer is "No".

Last edited by Clark_Kent; 06-22-2023 at 12:50 PM..
Burrcold5551.50