View Single Post
      04-03-2023, 10:28 AM   #1117
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
Arguably one of the best pilots ever was R. A. 'Bob' Hoover (1922-2016.) Bob was a WW2 fighter pilot in a U.S. fighter group equipped with Spitfires, was shot down by a German fighter due to a mechanical issue and became a POW. Late in the war, he escaped and commandeered a German Fw190 fighter and flew it to freedom! He was also a post-war test pilot and a standout on the airshow circuit for many years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Hoover

I've tried to find a relatively short youtube video of his airshow routine in which he shuts down one engine of his twin-engine Shrike Commander while doing rolls and loops. Also on youtube is a longer video that features Bob pouring a glass of iced tea while doing a roll with both engines out! What an amazing man.
I was lucky enough to see Bob Hoover perform in both his P-51 and his Shrike Commander at 4 or 5 air shows back in the 1970s. What he did with those planes was amazing. My dad, who was a Marine fighter pilot told me while watching Mr. Hoover's performance, "Son, this one of the top pilots ever." Incredible!
BMWGUYinCO4141.50
Llarry16812.00