View Single Post
      02-27-2023, 08:48 AM   #49
yellow_boss
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 325xi, 2015 X5 35d

A sum-up in one post, start to finish, resolving the INCORRECT FLUID: NO START issue in my 2015 X5 35d:

1. While driving, I received the "INCORRECT FLUID: NO START IN 300km" warning

2. I drove past the zero countdown mark to get it home and I reset codes with cheap code-reader. That resulted in a new countdown "INCORRECT FLUID: NO START in 80km ". I do not recommend doing this! Resolve your issue early just in case you need to kms for multiple conditioning runs after swapping parts.

3. I'm not Windows user so I bought a Windows 11 Laptop with over 500gb of available SSD space (needed for ISTA). An external SSD would prob work too?

4. Installed google Chrome on laptop

5. Installed 7Zip on laptop

6 Using Chrome, I downloaded the ISTA software from a link in PM from forum user Aadalbert_77 on this thread - click here. The download zip file was about 136GB.

7. I installed ISTA on the windows 11 laptop using the following guide I found in post # 148 in this thread. Once fully installed the entire unzipped package (using 7-zip extractor) took about 353GB more SSD space. ISTA install process was:

a. Run Patched_EDIABAS_7.3.0.msi
b. Install jre-8u351-windows-x64.exe (x86 if 32 bit OS).
c. Install VCRedist 2005-2019 x86 x64.exe.
d. Unpack ISTA_v4.32.15.24911.7z in C:\ (you can change folder) - you'll get C:\Rheingold\ in this case.
e. Unpack PSdZData_Lite_4.39.20.rar in C:\Rheingold\PSdZ\data\ (see point h. below).
f. Unpack GLOBAL_4.32.12.7z and EN_4.32.12.7z.7z in C:\Rheingold\SQLiteDBs\ (DE_4.32.12.7z for german).
g. Run RCleanerV4.4.exe and reboot.
h. Open registry fix (ISTA_Reg_Fix_x64.reg) with a text editor and check or change (modify if you did override aforementioned folders). Specifically check or change:
"InstallLocation"="C:" (to match point d. above).
"BMW.Rheingold.Programming.PsdzDataPath"="C:\\Rhei ngold\\PSdZ\\data" (to match point e. above).
"BMW.Rheingold.OnlineMode"="True"
Then save and Run the Registry Fix
i. Guest OS: Network > Ethernet adapter: set the IP to 169.254.1.1, subnet mask to 255.255.0.0..
j. Run C:\Rheingold\TesterGUI\bin\Release\ISTAGUI.exe: top right wrench > Vehicle interface: select "Dealer Organisation ICOM /ENET local area network", change "Search broadcast" to 169.254.1.255. I created a desktop shortcut for the "ISTAGUI.exe" for easy access.
k. Home, Operations > New > Read out Vehicle data and Complete identification button. You should get ISTA+ reading VIN and diag info.

8. Purchased an ENET cable - link here. Needed to plug laptop into vehicle OBDII port.

9. I removed the DEF Injector, also known as SCR Metering Unit (BMW PART # 18308514448 or Bosch Part # 0444025010 - link here), and cleaned it with distilled water to remove hardened DEF deposits.

10. Using ISTA software, I ran the "SCR Exhaust Emission System Test", an 11-step diagnostic test that takes 50 mins where ISTA prompts you to start the engine and it runs through a test plan. "Step 11 - Evaluation" provided diagnostic results. In my case, it said "The SCR functional test is finished. A fault was detected for the NOx sensor before SCR catalytic converter. Replace the NOx sensor before the SCR catalytic converter." Front NOx sensor is BMW part # 13628589846 ($976 CAD to my door).

11. Purchased a NOx Sensor Wrench, size 7/8"/22mm, about $40 CAD. Like this

12. Replaced front NOx Sensor and DEF Injector (because I broke the plastic hose barb on DEF Injector when I removed the NOx Sensor - $350 CAD for Bosch version of the DEF Injector). Heads up, the NOx sensors are seized in there tight so start soaking it with penetrant early (days) so you don't have to fight with it and break something like I did.

13. Ran the ISTA 50-minute 11-step "SCR Exhaust Emission System Test" again. The results of Step 11-Evaluation were: "The SCR System ran trouble-free."

14. Using ISTA, I reset the "SCR Adjustments and Adaptations - Long-term Adaption"

15. Using ISTA, I initiated "ABL - Diesel Particulate Filter: -Request Regeneration"

16. As indicated in ISTA I went on a conditioning run of approx 30mins at speed 60-120kmh. I had 36kms until NO START and I during my run it counted down to 0kms, "INCORRECT FLUID: NO START in 0kms", then about 2-3 kms beyond that point the warning disappeared.

17. After returning home, using ISTA , I deleted remaining faults from memory.

Problem fixed! This all cost me: a Windows latop, ENET cable, NOX Sensor Wrench, Front NOx Sensor, a DEF Injector, and almost 8 weeks of down-time (because I was busy).

Last edited by yellow_boss; 05-07-2023 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 2