Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I don't know what their cutoff number is and that's part of the problem. I wish they'd democratize some of the data - at least show us sample sizes for each model that has a rating.

And my comment is based on common statistical logic. Mercedes has a large lineup, but if you base your aggregate rating on only 2 cars out of their 15+ car lineup - that presents a big likelihood of skeweing of results.
Well the fact that they disclosed it was based on a limited sample because they actually had a minimum cutoff should already tell you it's not going to be conclusive so you cannot treat is as gospel. Obviously you can think that every BMW model is now very reliable because it clearly says it is overall BASED on models that met their minimum cutoff. To throw away the results because on an assumption made when the survey already discloses its limitation is really just throwing bricks at a glasshouse. Anybody in here going to dispute that a Lexus overall very reliable just because they feel CR's survey is worthless for whatever reason? I don't think so