View Single Post
      10-24-2022, 07:11 PM   #378
E86Z4MC
Private
Rep

Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Not sure I would consider HAM's teammates during his championship run as prime F1 talent... or a step up from RIC or PER in any way. GAS & ALB yes.

Also the 7 years of complete dominance doesn't really compare to less than half a season of one car/driver being the best in the field. And during Mercs run they would routinely crush qualy too - not the case here. There are other cars with the pace in the field - but no one has been able to achieve what VER has done during the race as the year progressed.

At least we had a breeze! Ugh that would have been miserable.
As a whole, Lewis has raced against tougher and more accomplished teammates than Max has. This isn't debatable. Red Bull has intentionally made sure that's not the case with Max. I'd say that it's smart to ensure it doesn't get to that level of competition between teammates. F1 is first and foremost a team sport.

But it also means that it's difficult to compare. Would Max have won in the w11, swapping places with Lewis? Likely, yes. With Lewis as his teammate? Noone knows. Same scenarios in the W12? What about against Alonso in his rookie season? Or even at the same age Lewis was in his rookie season? Again, no one knows. Pure speculation. I think there's plenty of data points to say that early in Max's career, he wasn't at that level, though talented. But to his credit, he has grown and matured.

We've had the benefit of seeing Lewis race against champions. Time will tell if any of Max"s teammates will be in the same boat, but I'd personally be surprised if any of who he's raced alongside win a championship (let alone multiple).