Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I haven't read all 5,000 posts in this thread so apologies if it's been covered. I have a friend who is a County police officer 5 years from retirement. Due to all the insanity that has unfolded over the few years, it's become so risky to his retirement and personal reputation that he hasn't made a traffic stop in 2 years. Even wearing a body camera when making a stop, there is a fear that his administration will not support him if he has to protect himself. All of this defund the police nonsense and public scrutiny seems to have resulted in the streets being less safe than ever.

Any thoughts on this?
You are observing a culture shift where good cops no longer want to put themselves at risk and are choosing to preserve and safeguard their livelihood over the objective that made the large majority of us enter this profession in the first place (…e.g….taking bad guys to jail). When you don't feel supported, morale suffers. When morale suffers, you do the bare minimum or little to nothing at all. When you do the bare minimum, complacency sets in and you simply stop caring. When you stop caring, buoyed by laws that are too lax/pro-criminal, the community suffers as criminals run amuck. It has become a lawless free-for-all in every blue state/city in the union.
I witnessed this first hand last week.

I was in the loading dock at work which is in scummy downtown Seattle alley. Always reeks of piss and shit. Across from me on the other side of the alley was a doorway with some junkie zombie camped out. I see an SPD officer walking up the alley just as this guy pulls out his pipe. I'm thinking "we'll this should be interesting." No shit, the guy is actively holding the lighter under some tinfoil and sucking up the smoke though his glass pipe as the office walks past him. To my shock she asks him how he's doing and if he's OK, then continues on her merry way. WTF?!

I can't imagine how mentally beat down and unsupported you have to be as an officer to do that. It's crazy to me.
It's a pointless endeavor to arrest for meth/crack, especially when you have cities in my state handing out pipes and Narcan.