F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Spot on !

I think that Mercedes made a huge mistake by removing the side-pods ..
While the body of the car is built around the PU with a extremely narrow rear , the new 2022 Mercedes PU is built to run without side-pods ..
That's why the 2022 Mercedes PU is developed to run with CCS cooling ...(chemical cooling system)

The issue is with the CCS cooling is that they can't go back with bigger side-pods to fix the porpoising ...

Currently the Red Bull RB18-B has the best handling and balance ..
Of course the Mercedes PU has as usual extreme power levels .
But power is nothing without control ....
Well that's not really true:

1) it's mostly the floor causes the porpoising because that's what stalls, and why floor flex is such a huge issue.

2) the CCS has nothing to do with the side pod going wider, if they wanted to go wider they absolutely can and switch back to conventional radiators which they still have. Or they can just keep a narrow inlet but wider body panels. Literally the best option is to have a super tight packaging and be able to do what you want. Their cooling system doesn't prevent this in anyway.

But shouldn't you be happy Merc are struggling? I'm pretty sure they're not sand bagging, this was the same thing with the w12 last year.