09-04-2021, 06:43 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
The true solution in my opinion is to get every car owner to keep their cars for life, i.e. no additional new cars, and any investment to be focused on public transport, period!
So to all electric cars owners claiming to do it for earth, what looks like a solution in fact it is simply a disaster, carbon foot print before EV cars hit the on the road on average equals to a diesel car 4 years on the road, source of electricity is simply not green at present let along if everyone convert to EV, and on the basis this is early days for EV tech, current EV owners are more likely to upgrade their cars faster to keep up with range & battery developments.
As a person who keeps his cars to literally multiple hundreds of thousands of miles and well over 15 years (my current fleet average is 16 years old and 187,000 miles) my opinion is your proposition is unrealistic, yet commendable. The idea that human society can exist on public transportation alone is unrealistic as well. There is a majority of the world that is still rural, where gasoline vehicles make the most economic and operational sense. Automobiles are a foundational tool of the modern human economy; we are all far wealthier with them than without. Planet-saving environmentalism is merely theater from those people who took Drama and Poly Science in high school and college.

Those of us who practice in either sophisticated or unsophisticated forms of dirt manipulation to earn a living truly understand how life works and have more important shit to worry about than how to save a planet.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-07-2021 at 09:07 AM..