05-07-2020, 03:05 PM   #434
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
The question is can you find the Porsche models you outlined with the equivalent BMW, at BMW's price point new? That is no. The value equation always comes into play or else we can compare a Bentayga to a X5.
Cayenne at a similar price to an X5, yes. Cayman GTS at the same price as an M2CS, around $80-90k, yes. (GT4 might be a stretch).

Quote:
Now preowned is where it gets interesting if your primary focus is on the brand and for sheer driving focus. But as we all know, new BMWs or even any brand are not focused on pure driving overall. They need to consider comfort, tech, usability, which all compromises the vehicle in some people's eyes.
For the family cars, I can do without BMW and don't even have to go to a Porsche these days, there are plenty of reasonable choices (sporty, comfortable, roomy, and *cheaper*).

For my fun car, the allure of the BMW M cars has always been reasonable reliability, practicality, low running costs (for tracking) and fun to drive. But again once you step into the $80k+ range, choice abounds.

I'll seriously look into a Cayman GTS as my next fun car, since I will no longer require 4 door practicality. An almost-GT4 for the same price as a loaded M4 or M2CS? Manual transmission? And I think I can find a dealer willing to do Euro Delivery. Sign me up...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i