View Single Post
      01-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #13
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
If you want heated, tilt, reclining, they aren’t really race seats. What about a quality aftermarket seat like Recaro Sportster CS or Sparco SPX?
Agreed, stand corrected. I have been looking at those two specific seats as viable options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
I'm not sure that you aren't defeating the purpose of a racing seat by adding your requirements. Apart from providing proper support (which a high-end Recaro will do), the race seat has 2 advantages. First it saves weight, a benefit you effectively eliminate by adding back power adjustments. Second, it is designed to accept a 5 point race harness, which requires removal of the existing 3 point harness and substitution with a properly anchored 5 point harness, which effectively eliminates the real-world utility of the left rear seat.
In the track day org that I will be driving with, if you have race seats then, like you clearly stated, will need the other support items like 5pt or better harness and the correct way to anchor it, at this point I don't want to use a harness bar as it will add more steps into converting from dd to track back to dd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Recaro Sport Toplines attached to your OE sliders with Brey Krause's R-9292 mounts.

Comes from Recaro with heating, ventilation, leather, and power back rest. Using the R-9292 you can mounted it on your factory BMW power slider.

Not the lightest setup out there, but lighter and more supportive than stock!

If you can live with a manual backrest, you could do the sportster CS-- you can get it from Recaro with seat heating (not cooling AFAIK). But, if you're medium height to tall, the harness holes are too low to safely use. Could also be mounted on the BMW power sliders with the R-9292.
Hmm, my dimensions might not let me consider that set up (6-2 /250lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Here you go:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809730

Forgot about the side airbags, which you’ll lose with a racing seat.

The passenger OC3 sensor is built into the OEM seat bottom, and appears to not be easily removed. It’s also very expensive. On top of that, you really won’t know if the swap works properly (i.e., whether the sensor mat is functioning as it should). If I were in need of a racing seat, I’d do only the driverr’s and leave the stock passenger seat alone or remove it altogether.
My thought process was to acquire more seat grip, to avoid sliding or moving too much while on the track, I guess me considering a race seat is beyond the scope of the potential use of the vehicle at this point.

I appreciate everybody's input, thank you.

With all these points well made, seems like I need to re think what I need vs. what I think I want.
I could upgrade my current seats by reupholstering the seats and possibly use the 4pt quick fit system or;
swap seats with units offered by Recaro, Sparco, etc which will offer higher level of support and will allow me to keep the useful functions of a daily driven car seat.

Went out to get a quote of the reupholster job; $2700 for the front and why not, the rear seat to copy the comp seat with suede.
The Recaro CS seats are around $4k or $6k depending on options, etc.