M3lbournE92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3lbournE92 View Post
Just a thought, the turbos on the s55 start to kick in around 3,500 rpm. Put the car in sport plus throttle with traction off in second gear and hold on for dear life (do not recommend doing this with cold tires). The s55's engine is for high speed driving on the autobahn, not stoplight racing. The x5 you have makes almost all of its torque before 2 grand rpm so you never feel like your losing power until the car revs out. Heck even a 328i with a tune is faster than my f80 from 0-40 since the turbos are tuned for low rpm. After 40 you'll pass the 328 as if it isn't moving.

Also have you thought of tuning your car? I'm running a jb4 and the car feels like an animal. With a few gallons of e85 I was able to pull on my friends 991.1 turbo from a 60-160 roll which is incredible. If I had a flash tune my car would be even faster but I am waiting for strictly obd2 flash to come out. Right now all ecu tunes require taking out the ecu which isn't good for warranty work if they do find you tampered with the ecu. A jb4 is not the best tune out there since it is a piggyback, but for price and usability the jb4 can't be beaten. I have the jb4 app and I switch between maps all day long which is probably the most fun. In the winter (New York) I keep the car on map 5 (progressive boost map) which doesn't upset the rear tires as much on WOT. The power doesn't surge right away so I'm not stuck looking at a traction control light until 60 mph lol. Hope this helps!
The boost threshold on the S55 is well below 3500RPM. The engine already makes peak torque at 1850RPM. However, acceleration is about power. Hence to optimize acceleration, one needs to keep it above 5500RPM.
Have you driven the new f80's? The car doesn't move until above 3k. I know BMW advertises max torque at 1800 rpm but it's not even close to real world numbers. Just look at dyno charts, the torque still rises until 3k and you can see that in your seat while driving.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1