06-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #9
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I'll try to keep to short and sweet. I'm penciling in a Spring 2018 ED of an F80 M3 (ZCP, MT).

Currently (and for the next 2-3 years after I get the M3), my commute consists of dropping off kids at school (2 miles) and driving to work (5 miles). I do the reverse at night. ~14 miles round trip. My wife drives to the train station (~5 miles each way) and leaves her car there.

We have a nice SUV (family trips, winter storms, shopping, etc. and currently my DD), a 2-seat roadster for occasional fun, and a leased sedan (wife's DD) that the M3 would replace. The plan is to have my wife DD the SUV and I'd DD the M3. Naturally, the M3 would also be used for all other situations that don't require an SUV or for which the roadster is too small.

Strictly speaking, I obviously don't need an M3. No plans to track it. A GTI would probably fit the need quite nicely for half as much. The argument could be made that I should just get a "nice 3er" (like a loaded 340i). I am quite convinced that I would only regret that move. I'm comfortable with the price premium of an M3 over a loaded 340i for what you get. Plus, I did that once before in not getting one of the last the E90 M3's and later regretting it. I feel the same re: other premium German sedans. Also, my MT requirement thins the herd pretty significantly.

But the GTI is always on my shoulder nagging me. Telling me I don't need an M3 and it's a waste of money. It's not an affordability thing either. I just get the sense that it's wasteful.

What draws me to the M3 is that it's special in many respects. Also, I had a 997TT and would like one fast car. Part of me sold the TT because the kids were outgrowing it and I always pictured an M3 as the closest sedan replacement. To wind up with a GTI seems like a sell-out move. Also, while a superb value, I don't "love" the GTI. Finally, the plan is for a family trip to pick it up in Europe with a longish vacation there. I'm sure it would be that much more special in an M3.

I guess I'm asking you to convince me that the M3 is not a stupid move. Fire away.

(BTW, I have considered getting a used E90, but given my use, I prefer the low end torque of the F80)
Do you need every square foot of your home?
Do you need to eat at premium restaurants?
Do you need all the kids?
Do you need cable/sat TV?
Hell, do you even need TV's?

There is your answer.

You're only on this rock once.
Appreciate 2
dmboone254972.00
rr006rbc1205.00