02-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2016 EB-II/CR 228i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
sounds like a fun car!

a lot of auto manufactures are stepping up their game and it's becoming difficult to justify the prices some "luxury" brands are attempting to charge. recently someone mentioned a loaded ford explorer putting their X5 to shame in the options category.

it's a good thing though because soon they will have no choice to a) lower their prices or b) make their vehicles even more bad ass. win, win imo.

i've been driving a lot of cars lately and sometimes it's just the label whore in me that keeps me from getting something more affordable with the same or better performance and options.

i do not mean to offend but this seems like a desperate post to find something bad about the above. haha op never mentioned anything about warranty and here comes this "this is why you and what you looked at is dumb." type of post. i love forums for that.
When was the last time BMW lowered their prices? Truthfully, they are putting a few more options into their standard equipment here and there, but they aren't taking a profitability hit to do so. BMW does what they want, all the way down to ruining the exceptional handling dynamics of the 3 series with the introduction of the f30, in order to increase unit sales. On the other hand, Ford has to make up for it's poor excuse for driving dynamics by adding all of that equipment as standard or at a lower price point than BMW. Not that it is safe to be driving with one hand necessarily... but I could not do so with the 2016 Ford Explorer Limited I had as a rental with 11,000 miles on it. I could barely keep it on the road, there was no on-center steering feel at all. It felt twice the size of GM's yukon xl and suburban models, which feel relatively easy to drive in comparison. Nevertheless, there was little body roll and cornering actually felt well composed (except for the fact the steering wheel was giving you no information at all), but I attribute that to corner braking scrubbing off speed automatically to maintain stability. Not that anyone would cross shop an explorer and X5, but that is precisely because there is no comparison.