captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
I bought a DCT because my weekend toy is a 6MT. Sample of one, but you asked.
Make that a sample of 2

I have owned a variety of cars over the years, some with ATs, most with MTs and now one with a DCT.

For some of them an MT was the logical choice or in some cases the only choice (1969 Firebird 400, Spec Miata, 1960 Mini Cooper S, 1954 Jaguar XK120, 1959 Austin Healy "Bug Eye" Sprite, Honda Accord and Acura Integra. I had an Audi 100LS and a Lexus SC300 with MTs.

For other cars an AT was my choice and again in some cases the only choice (BMW 750Lix. Jaguar XJ, Jaguar XKR, BMW 335i E93).

I even had a Saab 95 wagon with a three cylinder, two cycle engine with a four speed on the column and centrifugal clutch freewheeling. It had a rack for a case of the oil that had to be added to the gasoline under the seat. In freewheel mode you did not need to use the third pedal that operated a conventional clutch to shift gears. Just let off on the gas and let the centrifugal clutch decouple, shift and get back on the gas. On my Honda Accords and Acura Integra I used to shift without using the clutch quite often. The Honda 5 Speed MTs were great transmissions and would effortless slip into gear.

My wife drove many of those cars and was very at good driving MTs.

I now regularly switch from AT/DCT to MT and I can honestly say that after years of driving MTs I do not find it particularly challenging although I have to admit that there is a certain satisfaction to a perfectly executed heel and toe double clutched downshift.

In any case I hope BMW continues to offer MTs. If it was not for the auto rev match feature which I absolutely hated when I test drove one I would have seriously considered an MT M4.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-09-2015 at 09:22 PM..