Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 MG F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
Assuming it's the same engine, what I don't understand is the margin between the Mercedes Works team and Williams, Force India, and Lotus.

I could understand a few seconds of margin from aero, but it's hard to believe it's even the same engine.
I was thinking the same and I think Massa thinks the same too. But McLaren did state last year that a customer team cannot win the championship. All things being equal, Mercedes knows their engine better and they know how to utilize it. Also IIRC, I think Mercedes withholds the source code for the software.
I thought all the cars using standard DME/ECU made by McLaren Applied Technologies. In this case, source code doesn't help much, because it is the same for everybody. Teams have their own mapping for sure, but it shouldn't make such a difference.

http://www.mclaren.com/appliedtechno...-ecu-formula-1
"If you want a car for track use, if want to go every other weekend fight-to-fight stopwatch to your local track: go for PDK, definitely. If you use the car, maybe not on track but as a daily commuter going through traffic: take the PDK. But you want a driver's car, a fun car: take the manual. [...]"