New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #23
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2014 435 x drive msport

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddots View Post
Quote:
Dealership is good if you want to learn. When the independents can't figure out a car, it gets sent to us. You work on it till it's fixed, period. Even if it takes a full week to find an issue.

Agree on the parts swappers. There are many techs that I work with that I would not let touch any car of mine. Those guys are also the highest paid here, they are here strictly to make money.

I can't be any help with you getting started, it is quite different here in Canada. But we actually get paid by the gov't to go to school for our apprenticeship.

Also plan on spending some coin on tools, mine are worth about $70k.

Also agree on the high end does not equal higher pay. Around here, most shops pay about the same flat rate, Audi is a straight time shop though. The higher end you go, the more electrical bullshit you are diagnosing/tracing etc etc etc. You are making straight time doing electrical diag, that is a shitty way to try and make a living. Simpler the better.
If you are willing to go past the "b" level, you will get good at electrical problems. Even a lowly Kia/Hyundai will have the same issues as a benz. Eventually you will get to the point where your employer WILL compensate you for the time you lose with those jobs.
I find it easier to negotiate a base pay(ex: 100 hours per pay period). It is that in between phase that can be painful, but you will make it work out if you know how to deal with the owner/service manager.

Tools!!!
You don't need to spend the big bucks on snap on, but eventually you will appreciate some of their hand tools.

I have a snap on box that is worth more than almost all the cars I work on. And that doesn't include what is INSIDE!!!! Lol
Ya, nobody in this city gets a minimum pay. Flat rat, period. Out of work? Go home with your two hours. My point with the higher end stuff is that there are twice as many modules on the networks, so there is twice as much problems chasing networks pulled to ground or completely dead. I made more money working at Honda than Acura, but I left due to politics and the shop was not air conditioned. Would be so exhausted after a good day I would not even eat dinner and just collapse in bed.

Luckily my tool cabinets are supplied, we have all built in boxes/cabinets. Sucks because it limits the amount of tools I can fit in them, but, I don't have to pay for them.

Having lunch and probably headed home. Luckily I made my 12 already this morning doing a CPO.
Now do most dealers make you bring your own personal tools in? Or have like a buy program? Is that the same with different schools I may go too?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #24
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
I also want to mentioned I talked to a retired tech tonight from a local repair shop, and he mentioned to stay away from them if possible, he said a lot of the shops he?s worked at in the area don?t like to bump people up, the example he used is if I go in and start doing oil chances, that a couple of the shops around me will keep me in that spot and not move me up, so it seems like I?m almost better trying to get into a dealership of some kind
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #25
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhenault View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Dealership is good if you want to learn. When the independents can't figure out a car, it gets sent to us. You work on it till it's fixed, period. Even if it takes a full week to find an issue.

Agree on the parts swappers. There are many techs that I work with that I would not let touch any car of mine. Those guys are also the highest paid here, they are here strictly to make money.

I can't be any help with you getting started, it is quite different here in Canada. But we actually get paid by the gov't to go to school for our apprenticeship.

Also agree on the high end does not equal higher pay. Around here, most shops pay about the same flat rate, Audi is a straight time shop though. The higher end you go, the more electrical bullshit you are diagnosing/tracing etc etc etc. You are making straight time doing electrical diag, that is a shitty way to try and make a living. Simpler the better.
If you are willing to go past the "b" level, you will get good at electrical problems. Even a lowly Kia/Hyundai will have the same issues as a benz. Eventually you will get to the point where your employer WILL compensate you for the time you lose with those jobs.
I find it easier to negotiate a base pay(ex: 100 hours per pay period). It is that in between phase that can be painful, but you will make it work out if you know how to deal with the owner/service manager.

Tools!!!
You don't need to spend the big bucks on snap on, but eventually you will appreciate some of their hand tools.

I have a snap on box that is worth more than almost all the cars I work on. And that doesn't include what is INSIDE!!!! Lol
Ya, nobody in this city gets a minimum pay. Flat rat, period. Out of work? Go home with your two hours. My point with the higher end stuff is that there are twice as many modules on the networks, so there is twice as much problems chasing networks pulled to ground or completely dead. I made more money working at Honda than Acura, but I left due to politics and the shop was not air conditioned. Would be so exhausted after a good day I would not even eat dinner and just collapse in bed.

Luckily my tool cabinets are supplied, we have all built in boxes/cabinets. Sucks because it limits the amount of tools I can fit in them, but, I don't have to pay for them.

Having lunch and probably headed home. Luckily I made my 12 already this morning doing a CPO.
Now do most dealers make you bring your own personal tools in? Or have like a buy program? Is that the same with different schools I may go too?
Tools are a very personal thing, every tech has their own. Have never heard of a shop that provides them, but I could be wrong.

At school, we were provided with school tools. All my tools together would probably weigh close to 1000 lbs, not really portable to school.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #26
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tools!!!

Tools are a very personal thing, every tech has their own. Have never heard of a shop that provides them, but I could be wrong.

At school, we were provided with school tools. All my tools together would probably weigh close to 1000 lbs, not really portable to school.
Alright that makes a bit more sense, now do you know anything about dealers like having a tool buy program or Is that something I?ll have to go out and get myself?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #27
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tools!!!

Alright that makes a bit more sense, now do you know anything about dealers like having a tool buy program or Is that something I?ll have to go out and get myself?
Every dealer, or dealer group will have their own rules, but every dealer I have worked at they expect you to buy your own tools. The only extra compensation we get is a work boot allowance of $150/yr.

Here in Ontario, while you are a licensed apprentice, tools can be written off on your taxes 100%. So I actually took out a loan and bought most of my tools while still an apprentice, paid it off over the next couple years.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #28
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: wife crazy!

Don't expect to find supplemented restrain system and sensotronic brake hydroulics that Benz has on other entry level make and models. Also don't expect to learn how to actually fix these systems at the dealers. Learning curve would be different but you will learn more at good independent shop vs the dealer. The dealer of low end make and modoled is preferred because is easier work for compensation received. Work smart not hard. Why work on complicated BMW self leveling suspension when it could be simple strut?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 09:51 PM   #29
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
Could sleep your way in.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 01:39 AM   #30
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Why work on complicated BMW self leveling suspension when it could be simple strut?
More money?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #31
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
More money?
Maybe in BG. In US doesn't work like that. Pay is hourly and often rare isn't higher when working on more complicated high end make and models.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #32
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Don't expect to find supplemented restrain system and sensotronic brake hydroulics that Benz has on other entry level make and models. Also don't expect to learn how to actually fix these systems at the dealers. Learning curve would be different but you will learn more at good independent shop vs the dealer. The dealer of low end make and modoled is preferred because is easier work for compensation received. Work smart not hard. Why work on complicated BMW self leveling suspension when it could be simple strut?
Huh? At the dealer, we have to fix these new systems years before any independent garage gets to touch them. A current year Honda Civic is more complicated than a 6 or 7 year old MB or BMW. I spend my days working on automatic braking systems, lane keep assist, forward collision warning systems etc etc etc. My 4 year old BMW does not even have these kinds of systems. But these kinds of systems are becoming mandatory, so all makes either have them now, or will very shortly, does not matter the price point.

The less expensive brands do tend to have less "luxury" items though like cooled leather seats, entertainment systems etc etc. I also find the higher end car customers are a lot less tolerant of squeaks and rattles. Those can be a nightmare, when you are chasing a clunk that only happens on one specific bump, and at a specific temperature or only when raining. I guess KIA drivers are just happy the thing even runs.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #33
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Huh? At the dealer, we have to fix these new systems years before any independent garage gets to touch them. A current year Honda Civic is more complicated than a 6 or 7 year old MB or BMW. I spend my days working on automatic braking systems, lane keep assist, forward collision warning systems etc etc etc. My 4 year old BMW does not even have these kinds of systems. But these kinds of systems are becoming mandatory, so all makes either have them now, or will very shortly, does not matter the price point.

The less expensive brands do tend to have less "luxury" items though like cooled leather seats, entertainment systems etc etc. I also find the higher end car customers are a lot less tolerant of squeaks and rattles. Those can be a nightmare, when you are chasing a clunk that only happens on one specific bump, and at a specific temperature or only when raining. I guess KIA drivers are just happy the thing even runs.
You fix them by replacing parts? Or? Simple example: BMW dealer will not solder new mofset to fix misfire. They will replace the whole ECU. They will not replace stepper motor for the RPM. They will replace the whole instrument cluster. They will not replace the CHRA. They will replace the whole turbo. Nothing personal to you but is my personal experience as I have spend time at both, dealer and independent, as a service writer. Older luxury make and models, out of warranty, don't go to the dealer. Independent are fixing these because current owners can't and don't want to pay dealer for swapping parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #34
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You fix them by replacing parts? Or? Simple example: BMW dealer will not solder new mofset to fix misfire. They will replace the whole ECU. They will not replace stepper motor for the RPM. They will replace the whole instrument cluster. They will not replace the CHRA. They will replace the whole turbo. Nothing personal to you but is my personal experience as I have spend time at both, dealer and independent, as a service writer. Older luxury make and models, out of warranty, don't go to the dealer. Independent are fixing these because current owners can't and don't want to pay dealer for swapping parts.
I started at an independent, then went dealer. At $2/minute labour, it is usually cheaper to replace part. Some things we will still repair circuit boards etc, like DRL modules and some common radio issues.

But yes, we do not do as much of that as some independents.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 10-03-2017 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      10-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #35
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
So to update everyone, I went to my local shop, where I go for most of my work, and purchased my bmw from, and am very friendly with. After talking with them, and explaining the situation, they gave me some advice, and said the schooling is what you put into it. He personally went to a local technical college, and said if he went, he wouldn't go there again (to the specific school) he recommended trying to get into a local shop to get some experience in, then proceeded to tell me they're looking for somebody soon, and handed me an application. So there's a possible way into the field there. I also have an interview/ tour at UTI (Norwood Mass) campus. So I'm going to keep an open mind, and go check that out. I'm starting to build up a tool collection, as well as doing regular maintenance work on my car to get some experience, with the hopes that will show possible employers that i'm motivated and i want to learn. Thanks everyone for the help! Feel free to post more suggestions if you have them for me!
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #36
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
So to update everyone, I went to my local shop, where I go for most of my work, and purchased my bmw from, and am very friendly with. After talking with them, and explaining the situation, they gave me some advice, and said the schooling is what you put into it. He personally went to a local technical college, and said if he went, he wouldn't go there again (to the specific school) he recommended trying to get into a local shop to get some experience in, then proceeded to tell me they're looking for somebody soon, and handed me an application. So there's a possible way into the field there. I also have an interview/ tour at UTI (Norwood Mass) campus. So I'm going to keep an open mind, and go check that out. I'm starting to build up a tool collection, as well as doing regular maintenance work on my car to get some experience, with the hopes that will show possible employers that i'm motivated and i want to learn. Thanks everyone for the help! Feel free to post more suggestions if you have them for me!
It might be worth getting some experience at that shop to see if you even like it. That way you kind of know what you are getting into before paying for all the schooling.

Enjoying cars and fixing your own cars is very different than fixing other people's cars while racing against the clock.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      10-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #37
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
It might be worth getting some experience at that shop to see if you even like it. That way you kind of know what you are getting into before paying for all the schooling.

Enjoying cars and fixing your own cars is very different than fixing other people's cars while racing against the clock.
Yes i agree, thats why I'm trying to get into a local shop before i decide i want to go that route! I will say, when working in the technical highschool for collision repair, i did enjoy the faster paced working, because even though it was a school we did have the deadlines to meet. The issue i still seem to have is finding shops that will take someone with zero wrenching experience besides the 2 oil changes he's done on his car, along with other minor maintenance work.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #38
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post

Truth.

I'm not a mechanic by trade but have been behind the scenes. A good friend of mine used to own a shop. He's a ASE Master Tech. In my area, he was the go to guy for modifying any car. He mostly dealt with GM and Ford V8s but was recognized as the East Coast specialist for the Yamaha 6 that went into the Ford SHO. Also a lot of the local dealers would send him cars with electrical gremlins because either they couldn't figure it out or they didn't want to waste time chasing it when they knew he could find it relatively quickly.

Anyways, he grew tired of the business and a lot of the customer BS. I got to see a lot of it first hand hanging out at the shop. So for a guy that loved cars and modifying them, he sold the shop and walked away.

I also have a friend who is a BMW dealer tech. The things he tells me about how is job is really challenging doesn't surprise me. I think if he didn't have so many years of seniority/experience, he would leave in a heart beat if he could slot into a different job field making the same amount of money.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #39
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Some manufactures offered a snap on credit after passing their program, but that was years ago.

In general you are on your own buying tools.

Some newer dealerships will provide a puny box.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #40
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately some lesser brands like hyundai have higher end cars with comparable ecus/canbus, auto brake, blind spot, smart cruise, radar, air suspension, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #41
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I think if he didn't have so many years of seniority/experience, he would leave in a heart beat if he could slot into a different job field making the same amount of money.
This mirrors my experience as well. Ive gone as far as i can in my situation. If I were to go back in time, i would have done something else. It is a young mans game with few options when you dont want to wrench anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 12:10 AM   #42
spoonf20c
let me see you become a ///Monster
Philippines
Rep

Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Truth.

I'm not a mechanic by trade but have been behind the scenes. A good friend of mine used to own a shop. He's a ASE Master Tech. In my area, he was the go to guy for modifying any car. He mostly dealt with GM and Ford V8s but was recognized as the East Coast specialist for the Yamaha 6 that went into the Ford SHO. Also a lot of the local dealers would send him cars with electrical gremlins because either they couldn't figure it out or they didn't want to waste time chasing it when they knew he could find it relatively quickly.

Anyways, he grew tired of the business and a lot of the customer BS. I got to see a lot of it first hand hanging out at the shop. So for a guy that loved cars and modifying them, he sold the shop and walked away.

I also have a friend who is a BMW dealer tech. The things he tells me about how is job is really challenging doesn't surprise me. I think if he didn't have so many years of seniority/experience, he would leave in a heart beat if he could slot into a different job field making the same amount of money.
yup couldn't agree with you guys more. spent most of my teenage years doing bolt-on mods on my own car and on my friends cars. had so much fun doing that i thought i would make a career out of it. took a tour of UTI and their sales team got me good. 25k later i graduated and started working at a local bmw dealership. did a year of service writing and about 2 years of wrenching till i called it quits. for me it wasn't as enjoyable as i thought it would be. it was super cut throat and the paychecks were never consistent. turning your hobby into a career may make a lot of sense in terms of loving what you do for a living, but it doesn't always work like that. before you blow thousands of dollars into the education, please try working as a lube tech at dealer or bust some tires at americas tire co.
      10-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #43
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

I would do what Tavarish and Hoovies Garage on youtube are doing and restore your own late model Mercedes and Aston Martin then sell them for a profit and also make lots of youtube money.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #44
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

I fell into the industry in a weird way. I used to work at a computer delivery company that serviced trade shows out of school, I had worked at a garage in high school for a bit. But I spent all my spare time and money racing. This lasted for a few years but I eventually got fed up paying others to screw up so I started to do the wrenching and more importantly, the tuning myself. Not only a better result and saved money but it got me noticed. I had folks sending me their cars or flying me out to tune. Had my own place for a time but eventually got head hunted by a UK based company to run their US operation, that was 2004 and I have been doing this "professionally" for around 20 years now. Currently the brand manager for Pedders Suspension's USA NA arm. No longer doing much wrenching but still very much in the business.
Appreciate 1