New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

01-06-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
frknvgn
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2002 530i Sport Package 5MT

Rear suspension question

So I'm in for a long weekend here in Raleigh, NC. Winter is delivering us 6-8" of snow and the world will completely stop here in the south until terra firma is in view, giving me a three or four day weekend. I've got a set of coil-overs that I have been meaning to install. My 2002 530i sport has 77k miles, and while it's not floaty yet, it will start to show its age soon enough. I don't often have such long weekends without family plans getting in the way of car plans. I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old, so weekends such as this are immensely valuable.

So I've already done the "upper" and "lower" control arms in the front, but the rear is original as far as I can tell. The lower arm ball joint boots are all torn, but I'm not getting play or noise (YET!). I know I should plan do do those within the next couple years (I only drive 7-8k a year), but with me removing the rear seat and parcel shelf to install the coil-overs, it begs the question... Will it be meaningfully easier to do the below parts with the strut removed? I'll be pushing my comfortable time limits just doing the coil-overs, but will burn some midnight oil if those with more wisdom than I say I'd be a fool not to do the below parts (see link) while I was in there. Before you ask how I'd get them so quickly... I work for an aftermarket autoparts supplier and can get Lemforder or FEQ parts in a matter of hours, at near cost, so it's just a phone call away.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...Fd6KswodMqoG8w

Also, I'll need to get an alignment after the coil-over install, and if I went back a year later and did the above parts, I'd be in for another alignment, right? Or no?

I think the big issue here is while the local Advance Auto Parts or Carquest store does have a ball joint service kit, which I've used, it doesn't look anything like the special rear ball-joint tool that everyone seems to use. I won't have time to source that. As such, anything tied to that lower ball-joint is off-limits to me.

So what parts can and should I install while I have the strut out, that doesn't involve that lower ball-joint? Upper control arm is a no-brainer, but what else?

Thanks!

p.s.

before anyone suggests I should be doing something else with my time... I don't have a the Vanos seal kit, so the valve cover and vanos seals are a no-go for the weekend, and while I have not done the coolant refresh job yet, I'll be doing Evans waterless coolant, which I have yet to order, making that job a no-go as well. I've already addressed the entire brake system, all fluids (except coolant and power steering), but I'll be replacing the power steering reservoir and replacing as much fluid with fresh synthetic then bleeding it over the weekend. So let's keep the discussion to the topic matter please
Appreciate 0