New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

12-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Headlights Pointing Down Help

2001 530i non xenon with projector lenses. I have adjusted the lights and they seem to move but they only seem to shine about 25 feet in front of the car. Any common issues with the lights? If I go in the back you can move the whole bulb assembly all over the place. I haven't pulled the headlights out yet to figure it out, just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. thanks!

176,000 and still going strong!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
meko
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 - 535i Sport

Common problem. It two issues. First if you open the hood and grab the rear of the headlight assembly it shouldn't wiggle around. If it does than the plastic adjustments are broken. If it does not than look under the car. On the passenger side suspension is a small 3 inch long rod that controls the height adjustment of the headlights. Your lights move up and down based on suspension movement. Mine broke where the rod attaches to the suspension. I used a zip tie because I couldn't weld it back on. There is also a trick if the headlight wiggles as well. Let me know which one it is.
      01-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meko View Post
Common problem. It two issues. First if you open the hood and grab the rear of the headlight assembly it shouldn't wiggle around. If it does than the plastic adjustments are broken. If it does not than look under the car. On the passenger side suspension is a small 3 inch long rod that controls the height adjustment of the headlights. Your lights move up and down based on suspension movement. Mine broke where the rod attaches to the suspension. I used a zip tie because I couldn't weld it back on. There is also a trick if the headlight wiggles as well. Let me know which one it is.
The headlight assembly moves around like all over the place. No rod on the control arm, thats only for the xenon cars i believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
cgtompkins
Registered
Rep

Drives: E39 540i

Headlights Pointing Down Help

VERY common problem...below is the best write up I've found that involves no cutting of the headlight assembly and no "baking" of the light to soften up the headlight seal. In fact, some headlights, like mine, won't soften up no matter how much heat is applied because a different type of sealant was used.

Anyway, I can vouch that this procedure works; I've done it (with a few tweaks of my own, like snapping the new adjusters together before reinstalling). If you are handy, you will figure it out.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...nt-(no-cutting)

Last edited by cgtompkins; 02-28-2014 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: posted url twice by accident
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep

I did this a few weeks ago. Replaced the adjusters in both lights, the old ones were broken in about 20 pieces. I haven't been able to test how they working seeing the transmission lost reverse.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Bali
E46 Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46 E84 F15

I know this thread is for a 2001 E39 non-Xenon, but I will post this info in case others with Xenon (like me) find it.

The 2001 and 2002 years with Xenon have the front lens sealed with a black sticky butyl rubber. You can easily remove the lens and gain access to the headlight interior by heating the headlight in the oven. After you remove the lens and replace the adjusters I highly suggest you also replace the lens with new ones. I searched forever looking for them and finally found these on ebay for $100.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121371451854...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I see the price went up a bit. Anyway, these fit and look great and were easy to replace. I mention this because it took forever to find these replacement lens and they worked out so nice, just passing on the info. FYI: I have no affiliation with those lens or the seller.
Appreciate 0