New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #23
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Drives: 340isDrive

Suze Orman has tits and has no idea what "driving" really is
another boring save all your money to spend in heaven gal
sounds real tight (maybe thats the only positive) wait not that kind huh ok well then that sux
whatever happened to carpe diem
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #24
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_officer View Post
Exactly, my head hurts every time someone recommends fully paying off or putting a very large down payments on a car when you can finance them for <2%.

It’s very simple, instead of paying off a depreciating asset, put that money in a 401k, 529, ETF, Personal IRA, etc (it’s very simple to set any of these up with little cost) and then take the monthly car payment. Very easy to make 5% on your money while only paying 2% on your car.
Whenever I see this advice given, I wonder how many actually invest the money. I would bet less than half. For the average person, it's an excuse to have a car payment, whilst the money they would have used for a large down payment disappears on frivolous shit.

Sometimes personal finance goes beyond math. For a country with such poor financial health, simplicity is crucial. That means getting and staying out of debt.
Appreciate 3
NickyC17335.50
Nkc1600.50
      11-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #25
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: something fast

Allow me to clarify.

I am not talking about taking the $5k or $10k that you would have put as a down payment and putting that money into an investment vehicle. My comment was for VERY large down payments ($40k+) or for people that pay for an entire car upfront (like handing over an $80k check to BMW for an M3).

You are right in that the $5k-$10k will basically be spent on other stuff over time if you don't put it into a down payment, BUT for the people that have $40k, $80k, or more ready to throw down on a car, that money probably isn't going anywhere fast so they should think twice about having their money work for them. And for those of us that have enough to pay off a car in it's entirety, they are probably wise enough to understand how smart investments work and should have no problem navigating. Ignorance to smart personal finance should not mean go buy a car in full.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #26
ipilcher
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Interest rates go both ways, though. So while it's true that I could finance a car at a very low rate, it's also true that any low-risk investments also yield very little these days.

For me, the spread simply isn't worth the hassle/complexity.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #27
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Interest rates go both ways, though. So while it's true that I could finance a car at a very low rate, it's also true that any low-risk investments also yield very little these days.

For me, the spread simply isn't worth the hassle/complexity.
Right, it's not for everyone, some people just like to leave all of their money in the bank, thinking even low risk investments are too risky / complex.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #28
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
I think about this similarly. If I’m getting a loan for less than 2%, inflation is typically 3% and my investments grow faster than the inflation rate it’s not worth it for me to put a bunch of money down. In some sense the cost of the car becomes cheaper each month over time if you consider the future value of a dollar is always decreasing. And if I can’t afford the payment structuring the loan that way, then I have no business getting the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #29
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
She's not wrong about anything, car prices right now are a complete joke. Not asking you to agree with me, but if you can't pay cash or at least put down 75% towards the value of the car with a maximum two year note, get something you can afford. LoL @ fleases.

The thought of ever having a car payment again makes me sick. There are countless nice 10 year old cars right now which can be obtained cash in hand, look great, and will last for years and years.

I need to value money more. Car payments to me are just numbers with a "-" in front of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Whenever I see this advice given, I wonder how many actually invest the money. I would bet less than half. For the average person, it's an excuse to have a car payment, whilst the money they would have used for a large down payment disappears on frivolous shit.

Sometimes personal finance goes beyond math. For a country with such poor financial health, simplicity is crucial. That means getting and staying out of debt.

After expenses, savings, retirement, car payments, insurance payments, mortgage, etc... I am basically living pay check to pay check.

I am not sure why Suze Orman gets such a bad wrap. I used to watch all of her shows. It's actually funny to see how far off people are. I remember there were many times that she did not agree with a person's purchase, but still approved them because they could afford it.

One guy wanted to pay $20k for a private jet from Chicago to Boston and back. He was 39 and approved.

I like that she is more about the numbers than she is about emotions. So if the numbers pan out she's good with it even if it makes no sense to her emotionally.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #30
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. I was a debt slave for a number of years until the damned bulb went off in my barely developed brain. I pay cash now for nearly everything, and only use one credit card I have for points and I pay it off monthly religiously. If I can't pay cash or can't pay something off within a month, it's a no purchase and I have no problem telling myself I can't afford it. When you stop giving a shit about what other people think of you, it's a great moment.

F
U
C
K

Debt
Appreciate 2
Nkc1600.50
      11-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #31
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Couldn't agree more. I was a debt slave for a number of years until the damned bulb went off in my barely developed brain. I pay cash now for nearly everything, and only use one credit card I have for points and I pay it off monthly religiously. If I can't pay cash or can't pay something off within a month, it's a no purchase and I have no problem telling myself I can't afford it. When you stop giving a shit about what other people think of you, it's a great moment.

F
U
C
K

Debt
You have to be smart with money. If you have 80k and want to buy a car which is worth 80K and you want to pay cash for it sounds ridiculous to me. You can put a down payment and enjoy the .99% or any low interest loan and invest the rest in stocks which pays somewhere around 18%. This way you're enjoying the cheap money from the finance company, have the car and the rest of your money is making money at the same time. Win win imo
Appreciate 1
c1pher4544.00
      11-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #32
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian View Post
You have to be smart with money. If you have 80k and want to buy a car which is worth 80K and you want to pay cash for it sounds ridiculous to me. You can put a down payment and enjoy the .99% or any low interest loan and invest the rest in stocks which pays somewhere around 18%. This way you're enjoying the cheap money from the finance company, have the car and the rest of your money is making money at the same time. Win win imo
18% returns huh?

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. People try to sound smart on the internet or to their friends, but either don't actually do it or claim unrealistic returns.
Appreciate 1
iamwingman1203.50
      11-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #33
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
18% returns huh?

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. People try to sound smart on the internet or to their friends, but either don't actually do it or claim unrealistic returns.
Yes, 18%. You read correctly. I don't try to sound smart I've done it and doing at currently. There are some stocks which paid way more than 18% including dividends but I was too conservative to invest in them and kick myself for it. Market have gained huge since Trump, why not enjoy the wave. All you need to know is keep up with what's happening and not worry about a bit of debt.

Have a great day..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 06:42 PM   #34
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Simplicity might get you peace of mind but will never get you to the next level.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 10:03 PM   #35
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
18% returns huh?

Quote:
Yes, 18%. You read correctly. I don't try to sound smart I've done it and doing at currently. There are some stocks which paid way more than 18% including dividends but I was too conservative to invest in them and kick myself for it. Market have gained huge since Trump, why not enjoy the wave. All you need to know is keep up with what's happening and not worry about a bit of debt.

Have a great day..
I'm right there with Ali. I have three different investment accounts (one of which is my 401k). They're all doing around 18% return year to date. I have another account with a single fund in it doing 31% year to date.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #36
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Simplicity might get you peace of mind but will never get you to the next level.
I subscribe to this thinking. Although, I understand many people just want to pay things off, live worry-free, get comfortable in their lifestyle and live life.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #37
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I'm right there with Ali. I have three different investment accounts (one of which is my 401k). They're all doing around 18% return year to date. I have another account with a single fund in it doing 31% year to date.
Care to share which funds?

How diversified are those funds and what were their performances the past 2,3,4 years? I can understand a fund doing well since Trump took office but what are the historicals? I'm interested
Appreciate 1
gleung13.00
      11-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #38
Mike991M4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2017 M4

Quote:
18% returns huh?

thats what my 401k has made ytd.

However annualized returns since opening 20 years ago are 7.04%, so that's probably a more accurate long term planning number
2015 Cayenne Diesel
2017 M4 Competition
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      11-24-2017, 08:47 AM   #39
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Essentially what I said above. Bingo. Keeping that $80k working for you while you enjoy a low interest loan is a better option. Again it has to be within your means to do so. I’m not cashing out a portion of my 401k for a car, ever.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #40
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_officer View Post
Care to share which funds?

How diversified are those funds and what were their performances the past 2,3,4 years? I can understand a fund doing well since Trump took office but what are the historicals? I'm interested
While I am around that percent (17+%) this year, I have averaged just over 10% a year over the past five years.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #41
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep

Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
People people people, why are you even wasting your time reading her crap?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #42
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think her advice is good at the basic economics 101 level.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #43
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep

Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
People people people, why are you even wasting your time reading her crap?
Actually, more people should listen because they can't seem to figure it out for themselves. Basic yes, but better than nothing. It really just comes down to common sense and discipline which has gone out the window.

Also, some do/did not learn at an early age so any bad habits continue throughout their life. When growing up my dad taught me well. I purchased many dirt bikes by paying a portion with my paper route and lawn cutting earnings and he would fund the rest and let me pay off a very low interest loan. Usually at some point when I got close to the end and my grades and I were good he would tell me to forget about the balance.

Another one I love is when people get all exited about getting their huge tax return back from the government. Really, you let someone else have your money and sit back and wait for it? I haven't gotten a tax return back forever and usually pay a penalty which is minimal.

In end though, everyone is different and some are not comfortable with any debt even if it is good debt. Just don't pay off your 2% car loan and then carry a 17% credit card bill. And don't laugh here, it has and is being done.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:37 AM   #44
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Not EVERYTHING has to be an investment. Some people enjoy expensive meals and aged whiskey, some people want to pay a little more for the thing they sit in 2 hrs a day.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0