New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-23-2017, 11:43 PM   #23
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Agreed - well said. I love all of my BMWs (still owns two and don't see myself selling either one anytime soon), but I just can't get myself to own a modern one as it has turned too mainstream.

PS - How does your co-workers feel seeing you in an Audi going into work?
BMW makes good vehicles, but they're just not for me anymore. I have retired from the automotive industry. I have a Masters in Cyber Security, which is what I'm currently persuing.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8159.00
      10-24-2017, 12:06 AM   #24
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
All this talk about which brand is faster and better is all just people trying to reinforce how big their weewee's are.

Fact: 95% of owners of any of these vehicles will never go anywhere near a track. These cars will all get to 30 in the traffic that they will be driven in at the same speed.

After owning BMW's my entire life, I've decided to change things up and ordered an S5 Coupe. The interior design and fit and finish on the Audi's demolish the 3/4 series and AND the Mercedes C43.
It’s interesting, after many years of owning all manner of high performance cars I’m finding myself far less interested in magazine reviews (why do they need to rank them and try to a define a ‘winner’?), performance stats, and certainly how many fractions of a second one car is faster around a track versus another. Much time is spent on this forum and others debating lap times on stock street cars which I find almost comical at times.

Ergonomics, street handling, fit and finish, and the fun factor are more critical these days, to me at least.

This is simply a great time to be a car enthusiast. So many good options out there. S3 is a perfect example. Checks many boxes, super fun to drive, excellent fit, finish, and ergos, and does not break the bank.

Congrats on the S5! The 2018’s are gorgeous.

Last edited by blschaefer1; 10-24-2017 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #25
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I have never, ever understood the BMW community bagging interiors from other marques, BMW dashes look so dated and plain, Audi absolutely shits all over them from the inside.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #26
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I have never, ever understood the BMW community bagging interiors from other marques, BMW dashes look so dated and plain, Audi absolutely shits all over them from the inside.
Appearance wise, yeah, but having owned a handful of both, Audis are mostly appearance. Try taking something apart and you'll likely change your opinion. And own one outside of warranty and your opinion will change even more.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #27
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
I don?t know I think the S3 interior is kind of plain and boring. TT on the other hand, especially in red, is on an entirely different level.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #28
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I am honestly nitpicking the hell out of the Audi S3, I know that but it is either I expected way too much of the Audi after hearing soo much and only to be let down a little bit when I finally got behind the wheel of one.

Exhaust can always be changed etc but I prefer to be able to keep a car stock and be happy with it that way. I want the car to sound good in stock form as well as aftermarket wise too.

A3/S3 Audi interior isn't that much better than their Benz and BMW counterparts. The materials are mainly the same. It only changes above the when you go up higher than a A4. (I am NOT a fan of airplane circle vents. I hate it). I prefer the simplicity of BMW interiors still. It could be a tad better when it comes to materials for 5er and up but if it works, it works no reason to change it. People just like to complain (I'm the same sadly). Like I mentioned, I don't see the Audi interior to be THAT much better that I can justify a premium on it. Benz? Perhaps, depending on which car we are speaking of.

Again, don't get me wrong. I know I am nitpicking the Audi S3 a lot, my expectations were probably way too high.
      10-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #29
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Exhaust can always be changed etc but I prefer to be able to keep a car stock and be happy with it that way. I want the car to sound good in stock form as well as aftermarket wise too.

A3/S3 Audi interior isn't that much better than their Benz and BMW counterparts.
Resonator Delete is a factory option on the S3. $350. I would consider this stock. The car sounds quite good with this low priced option.

Interior on A3/S3 is indeed a step down from A4/S4, but it is entry level in the Audi line. Compare to CLA Mercedes and 2 Series BMW, in which case it is quite favorable.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #30
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

That's a lot of money for a girly looking car with the same old boring A3 interior.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #31
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
BMW always goes for the simple and modern look, it's the same reason why people tolerate Tesla interiors despite their crummy materials and build quality. To add to that, Merc interiors went into the gutter during their Chrysler days and Audis only became genuinely nice cars over the past ~13 or so years. BMW interiors use to almost always better than the competition.

With that being said, BMW really sh*t the bed with the new 7-series. Talk about a snooze fest both inside and out! The current 3/4 interior actually took a step back from the E9X generation, with interior quality falling a notch and the dash only looking slightly more modern. GM execs probably found jobs in Munich, given how complacent this company has been in all areas since the E89 Z4 and every subsequent model killed BMW driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 01:42 AM   #32
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
BMW always goes for the simple and modern look, it's the same reason why people tolerate Tesla interiors despite their crummy materials and build quality. To add to that, Merc interiors went into the gutter during their Chrysler days and Audis only became genuinely nice cars over the past ~13 or so years. BMW interiors use to almost always better than the competition.

With that being said, BMW really sh*t the bed with the new 7-series. Talk about a snooze fest both inside and out! The current 3/4 interior actually took a step back from the E9X generation, with interior quality falling a notch and the dash only looking slightly more modern. GM execs probably found jobs in Munich, given how complacent this company has been in all areas since the E89 Z4 and every subsequent model killed BMW driving dynamics.
Looks is by person on a car to car basis. I don't dislike the Audi look, but it reminds me of Lexus which gives me mixed feelings.

When it comes to BMW driving dynamics, it is definitely not what it used to be as engaging but the world doesn't revolve around car enthusiasts and sadly BMW is driven by sales. I don't mind BMW doing a few compromises here and there but I wish they keep some of the old driving dynamics intact in the I6 3er (or soon to be M340i).

I still prefer BMW interior over what I have seen as of late. Porsche PCM is extremely, not driver friendly. Sometimes it likes to accept iPhones sometimes it doesn't even connect. It isn't laggy but it is just annoying to use. My parents like it because it is simple but you cannot do anything while driving. Ever since the iOS 11 update, PCM doesn't like to allow me to change music through the wheel, which prevents me from doing it at all basically unless I do it through my phone. My parents complain about the number of buttons on a Porsche and all I can explain is, it's Porsche, they like their damn buttons.

Audi Infotainment is good in Virtual Cockpit form, it isn't as great in normal non-Virtual Cockpit as there is a lag. Virtual Cockpit changes the Audi a lot, even in a A3 - RS3. However the A3 - RS3 interior is very bare and it looks weird to me. A4 and above looks good but I won't say it's 100% better than a BMW or Benz. I don't understand why some people believe this as I do not see it this way. Audi w/ Virtual Cockpit is driver friendly, w/o Virtual Cockpit it isn't as driver friendly but it is fine, not as bad as Porsche PCM.

Benz... I have a love hate relationship with Benz interior + infotainment. I like parts of it, I hate other parts of it. C class and below are okay. It isn't as driver friendly (aka BMW iDrive being tilted towards the driver and you can do almost everything while driving and not be super distracted if you are a good driver), but there are parts of Benz I do like.

That being said though, Audi, Benz and Porsche all use close to the same materials. Upper end Benz and Audi does have a step up on BMW because BMW is still pretty basic on the X5, X6, 6er and 7er. Benz and Audi changes their interior on their upper end cars so they are better in that regards. But, C class and below, A4 and below they aren't THAT much better. People exaggerate too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blschaefer1 View Post
Resonator Delete is a factory option on the S3. $350. I would consider this stock. The car sounds quite good with this low priced option.

Interior on A3/S3 is indeed a step down from A4/S4, but it is entry level in the Audi line. Compare to CLA Mercedes and 2 Series BMW, in which case it is quite favorable.
Yeah. I realize but again I think I'm just nitpicking the hell out of the S3 in particular because I'm leaning more Benz than Audi.

At the moment though BMW, at least my friends at my dealership, seems to want to put me into another BMW instead but I haven't seen them give me an offer I would actually look into. I'm not getting another 3er unless it is a G20 3 series. It would be a X3 or X5. Hell a 2017 6er GC boat would be fine too if the deal is good enough.
      10-29-2017, 09:06 PM   #33
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I got a chance to drive an S3 recently... here are some of my opinions-

The Bad-

1) The interior is quite low rent... it bothers me that it is a 50k car with an interior pulled out of a Golf. The middle AC vent design just infuriates me...

2) The car as you mentioned doesn't make much noise in whatever mode it's in.

3) The car definitely has a hint of understeer, i took a 90 degree turn harder at about 30 miles an hour and could already feel the car plow rather hard, its' a little scary at first... this is the cheaper Haldex FWD based AWD system at work, maybe wider tires up front would help.

4) It's just a tad slow... not very slow, but something like an APR stg1 would probably wake it up.

The good -

1) The car feels quite light, it hides its 3400 lbs very well, maybe its the awd system working, but it feels very go cart ish... this is a great thing.

2) Launching the car and driving around in stop and go traffic is very fun, the car is well balanced for the power that it actually does have.

3) The tech is solid, the digital dash is really cool and has very high resolution.

4) They don't come with runflats, this is a huge bonus over any BMW non M car... I promised myself I would never in my life buy another car with runflats on it from the factory.

I think overall, I would never pay 50k for this car, but considering one can be had used for 32k with CPO, it changes the discussion completely. I wouldn't mind having one as a daily driver, I would just need to change up the tire setup a little bit and throw a light tune on it...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 09:24 PM   #34
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I got a chance to drive an S3 recently... here are some of my opinions-

The Bad-

1) The interior is quite low rent... it bothers me that it is a 50k car with an interior pulled out of a Golf. The middle AC vent design just infuriates me...

2) The car as you mentioned doesn't make much noise in whatever mode it's in.

3) The car definitely has a hint of understeer, i took a 90 degree turn harder at about 30 miles an hour and could already feel the car plow rather hard, its' a little scary at first... this is the cheaper Haldex FWD based AWD system at work, maybe wider tires up front would help.

4) It's just a tad slow... not very slow, but something like an APR stg1 would probably wake it up.

The good -

1) The car feels quite light, it hides its 3400 lbs very well, maybe its the awd system working, but it feels very go cart ish... this is a great thing.

2) Launching the car and driving around in stop and go traffic is very fun, the car is well balanced for the power that it actually does have.

3) The tech is solid, the digital dash is really cool and has very high resolution.

4) They don't come with runflats, this is a huge bonus over any BMW non M car... I promised myself I would never in my life buy another car with runflats on it from the factory.

I think overall, I would never pay 50k for this car, but considering one can be had used for 32k with CPO, it changes the discussion completely. I wouldn't mind having one as a daily driver, I would just need to change up the tire setup a little bit and throw a light tune on it...
I'm surprised you didn't feel the car being front heavy. I can't say I felt the weight of the car completely but it was definitely front heavy when you heavy foot the gas peddle. I didn't really take any turns at speed so I didn't feel the understeer.

For me, Digital Dash/Virtual Cockpit makes the car interior very different but it is too big of a difference between having it and not having it. That is actually sort of a problem for me. The other thing I guess I didn't mention that I should have is, the S3 did feel slow at the start. I can't say it's turbo lag but you have to really gun the gas to get the car to go. Then again Audi pedal feel is generally heavy and I was probably not used to it so... YMMV.

As you mentioned though the S3 I posted is worth the price and I can probably negotiate on it to get it at a good price. Again though, I know I am nitpicking the car hell of a lot but, just when it comes to cars in general (BMW included) I just nitpick a lot. Least when it comes to European cars :P I really don't care as much when it comes to Japanese Imports.