New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #23
vividracing
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

What about the range rover sport? If shes worried about fuel mileage, they offer a turbo diesel version that has like 460 ft lbs of torque, and the new body style of those are beautiful!

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #24
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
the cost of 3 gallons of gas a week is a small price to pay for ones dignity and self respect
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post

You ever see how miserable the guy behind the wheel looks driving one of those things? I'd rather walk.
The two of you are perfect examples of the irrational dislike of minivans I mentioned.

I personally am comfortable enough with myself that driving a minivan would not cause me to lose my dignity and self respect, or feel miserable. Quite the contrary: I would feel happy that I have the vehicle best suited to hauling around a family with 3+ kids.

Modern minivans are luxurious, efficient for the amount of people and stuff they can haul, and much easier to drive and park than a full size SUV that drives like a bus. Some of them even have built-in shop vacs for cleaning up after the kids. If I had 3+ kids, I would happily buy a minivan.

Clearly there are enough insecure people out there who are willing to pay a premium to drive a full size SUV because they're too afraid to be seen driving a minivan.

What are you trying to hide? All driving a minivan says is "I have a bunch of kids." You know what else says that? Walking around with your kids. Why is that something to be ashamed of?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #25
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasM View Post
The two of you are perfect examples of the irrational dislike of minivans I mentioned.

I personally am comfortable enough with myself that driving a minivan would not cause me to lose my dignity and self respect, or feel miserable. Quite the contrary: I would feel happy that I have the vehicle best suited to hauling around a family with 3+ kids.

Modern minivans are luxurious, efficient for the amount of people and stuff they can haul, and much easier to drive and park than a full size SUV that drives like a bus. Some of them even have built-in shop vacs for cleaning up after the kids. If I had 3+ kids, I would happily buy a minivan.

Clearly there are enough insecure people out there who are willing to pay a premium to drive a full size SUV because they're too afraid to be seen driving a minivan.

What are you trying to hide? All driving a minivan says is "I have a bunch of kids." You know what else says that? Walking around with your kids. Why is that something to be ashamed of?

Thats cool and the gang, man. I just prefer to buy and drive a full size SUV like a Tahoe, Suburban, Escalalde, Yukon, etc........
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 07:04 PM   #26
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep

Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasM View Post
Quote:
the cost of 3 gallons of gas a week is a small price to pay for ones dignity and self respect
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post

You ever see how miserable the guy behind the wheel looks driving one of those things? I'd rather walk.

Don't care how practical a minivan may be. No one drives one because they want to. A vacuum in the cabin? Are you kidding? Who gives a F?
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      07-02-2017, 12:57 AM   #27
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

All white people have a Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade and it boggles my mind.

I suppose if you need to tow things you have limited options. But trust me, as somebody who grew up with close connections to GM, I can vouch that these large GM trucks are not well-engineered automobiles like SUVs from abroad. Ride, handling, fuel economy, infotainment (check out those ancient rear screens), interior material and build quality, etc. are mediocre relative to competitors. Nearly all, if not all, of the buttons and switchgear come straight out of the GM parts bin. For every surface with nice leather or wood, you have another surface with the cheapest and flimsiest plastics in town. I cannot fathom spending so much money on a vehicle with such little attention to detail.
Appreciate 1
CPWINCH732.00
      07-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #28
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Compared to my X5, these just don't drive well at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #29
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Compared to my X5, these just don't drive well at all.
on the interstate these beasts are pretty good, but there is certainly no hiding the bulk around corners.

I went from a Cayenne S to an X5 (my wife chose it) and was a bit disappointed when i was trying to have a little fun, but that's not really the point of that car.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #30
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Toyota Prius

we have an escalade. Its terrible. Trans sucks, engine tuning is off and unpredictable, steering feel is trash, no leg room at all
      07-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #31
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

we bought a f15 x5 CPO last fall with the 3rd row for this exact reason. We do a lot of weekend trips with our 3 kids including a big suitcase, cooler and double stroller. I usually only fold on seat up in the 3rd row and tie down the stroller vertically. We use a cargo carrier for the cooler and suitcase.

We looked at the BIG suvs and I just couldnt see us being happy with it for the quick kid hauling trips that make up 90% of it's use.

We lucked out and found an m sport with the tow package and 3rd row.

The only thing i dislike is the n55 vs the n54 I have in my 335 but you can't win them all.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #32
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
we have an escalade. Its terrible. Trans sucks, engine tuning is off and unpredictable, steering feel is trash, no leg room at all
what year?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #33
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
what year?