New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-18-2018, 08:52 PM   #89
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Fair enough. Ive got my focus full juggling calls, Nav, notebook and radio let alone Car Play. I usually have my phone in hand for email and text.

I am one that truly uses their vehicle as a mobile office. Not particularly on the old side at 30 years but for some reason this feature feels like it would be more trouble and less efficient than using my actual iPhone.

I do have Professional Nav FWIW....

With all that being said. I dont think $80 per year is exorbitant if you are someone that uses this regularly.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #90
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
You, me and thousands of customers told BMW the same thing, therefore one year for free and then subscription service instead of a one-time payment.

CarPlay without Professional Navigation is decent. CarPlay with Professional Navigation is useless.
So far, CarPlay is only useful for people who listen to a lot of pod cast. Everything else can be done with a long press for Siri. Hell, even pod cast might work with Siri, I don't know. It is sad when ID5 is far superior to CarSuk!!!

CarSuk might work better with touch screen but I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #91
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
Android Auto Question

For those complaining about the lack of Android auto in bmw... can someone please explain to me what functional upgrades (besides visual) that i would gain vs what my 17' 5 series already does for my android?:
- it fully integrates my emails and text messages. I can both read, have them read and voice dictate replies and also new messages
- full integration with Google radio and music stored on my device
- the car itself has Google search for points of interest
- full integration for contacts including pictures
- and google assistant pass through by holding the voice button a little longer

What is so great about AA that I can't already do?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #92
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep

Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

"The automaker next year will turn CarPlay into a subscription-based service rather than treating it as a one-time option, Don Smith, technology product manager for BMW North America, told The Verge at the 2018 Detroit Auto Show on Tuesday.

"This allows the customer to switch devices," he said. "A lot of people buy [CarPlay] and think it's okay, but sometimes they stop using it or switch to Android." "This allows the customer to switch devices"

I understand it as a switch from the current $300 option for ACP - as I paid for my 2018 M2 - and adding it as an annual subscription item you can cancel. For those of us who have it currently at the $300 option add-on, it's a done deal; nothing in the purchase contract specifies a switch to a subscription model.
      01-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #93
BD SM3RF
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmd5859 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR1 View Post
BMW and nickel and diming customers. Name a more iconic duo.
I agree! I am sick to death of the nickel and dime approach of BMW. Actually if it really was a nickel or dime that would be great. They always charge a premium for things and then all of the sudden it becomes obsolete. Enough is enough. It really does make me really consider other brands alot
Nickel and dime is one thing but an endless monthly payment to use a basic feature is over the top!
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #94
Nflight97
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4, 2013 X3 35i M

Just reminds me of the traffic info...

My 2013 X3 with nav = free traffic info forever
My 2015 M4 with nav = traffic info on available via subscription (which I refused to continue). Waze and others are obviously free, but it just makes me angrier and angrier at BMW everytime I switch vehicles, go to check the traffic in my NEWER car and get reminded that they tried to screw me.

Guess I’m going to vote differently with my dollars next time.

And BTW, the dealers are 100X worse than corporate. I just rated mine as “I hate my dealer...” in the recent survey. Jacked up parts cost, “forgetting about” scheduled loaners, jacked up warranty quotes, and outright lying to us. It begins to wear on a person. I would not treat a customer like this who bought multiple new vehicles, pays close to full price, buys full warranties, gets every service done, and EVEN bought TIRES from them (I know, I know).

Recovering fanboy here. So sad and disappointed in the brand. I want to be proud and tell people how excited I am about my rides - not embarrassed that I got fleeced and paid for things that I shouldn’t have.

I will admit it - I read this site almost every day, and have looked forward to the new product info for YEARS (hello there E46 M3). But I need to feel better about it. Their val prop has eroded. I want to get behind a brand that reciprocates my appreciation.

Now where’s the new info on that X3M... doh!
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1045.50
      01-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #95
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: Slow

I just bought my first Audi (RS3) and it has both CarPlay and android auto. They are extremely useful as now I can switch between different phones and it's just so much more user friendly. And good luck to bmw with their whatever strategy they think it's going to work.
      01-18-2018, 11:44 PM   #96
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
I guess the question here becomes, is BMW tired of paying the royalties for using CarPlay and handing the burden of the cost over to the consumer, or did CarPlay not get optioned enough times for BMW to keep paying Apple royalties on it? We know that Alexa is coming to ConnectedDrive soon, and the article says Google Assistant is too. Does that mean Android Auto is coming? Will they be subscription based too?
Yes & Yes !!

Like a drug dealer free to start; then once you're hooked plan on giving up the key to your wallet.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 02:49 AM   #97
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 428i xDrive GC

Everyone is saying this is cheaper for people leasing but that's not necessarily true.

If you lease a car you only pay the residualized amount which is like 40-45% for most bmws? So technically this new plan will cost leasees more over the same average 3 year lease.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 03:52 AM   #98
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
That actually sucks. They figure they will make more money rather than the one time purchase. I like it because it works well, the maps are terrible and suck big time. The rest is pretty decent for music. I feel you do lose out on sound quality though. They will really need to step it up in order for me to pay monthly.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 04:26 AM   #99
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '13 M3 (original owner)

There is a lot to complain about regarding this - so I will just say when the competition is updating their cars (T) over the air for free and you want a scope fee on top and even then you complain about updating our cars.. boy ultimate driving machine you got some nerve and you must like going backwards don’t you???
In this market you should be adding as much as you can for “no-charge” because electric is looking pretty good right now..and I am not talking about your “i”. Last time I checked there was no “i” in team but then again its all about you isn’t it. You are definitely not S 3 X Y.

Last edited by Drv4fun; 01-19-2018 at 04:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 04:30 AM   #100
N & M
Captain
Rep

Drives: F90 M5

The way of the world...

Well, it did happen to the gaming and software industry and we all lapped it up; what do you expect?

I assign half the blame on the gullibility of consumers that fall for the free or almost free start and fall into the trap of top up payments.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 06:31 AM   #101
DML
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2020 Heritage

Enough with the subscriptions, pay this pay that, I'll pass.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #102
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
For those complaining about the lack of Android auto in bmw... can someone please explain to me what functional upgrades (besides visual) that i would gain vs what my 17' 5 series already does for my android?:
- it fully integrates my emails and text messages. I can both read, have them read and voice dictate replies and also new messages

One teeny, weeny, little thing... Its called "Waze".
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #103
x5mannn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2010 X5 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post

One teeny, weeny, little thing... Its called "Waze".
At least air in the Tires is free.
Oh wait ...the service department charges $79 for nitrogen fill in Tires. Air is 79% nitrogen anyway
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 07:13 AM   #104
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Yes & Yes !!

Like a drug dealer free to start; then once you're hooked plan on giving up the key to your wallet.
Keep in mind, it also opens up the use of more than one system. Have an iPhone or a Google phone and an Amazon Alexa? You'll be signing up for both of those subscriptions.

This is where it will get costly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #105
Mrida335
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E90 335xi

This is crap Bmw. Get with the program and do more for your customers not less.
2002 745i - Kalahari Beige
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #106
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
If you already have CarPlay, you will never have to pay again. I am pretty sure if the car was purchased with CarPlay before the change in license model then lawyer will be lining up for a class action lawsuit. Your CarPlay is safe.

If in the future you buy a NEW CAR after this is implemented, you get 1 yr free and then you pay if you want. If you drive your cars for 10 years than yes you are screwed but if your like most of america, you lease or buy, wait till warranty is up and then sell or turn in. No issues.

If you haven't noticed EVERYBODY is going to a subscription model vs license in perpetuity. That way the company has greater control and removes the "pirating" aspect from the mix. The People in the USA "usually" only care what their payment is and not the overall cost. Everything now is advertised in X $$ a month/quarter/year. People can't afford to buy a 35k car but they can afford a payment in a 65k car for X years.

This may not apply to the astute owner who understands finance but based on what I have seen and heard, BMW sales are supported by:

The people who truly cannot afford these cars(but can afford the payment)

vs

the people who can afford the car yet may choose to use financing "vehicles" to their financial advantage

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #107
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

This is no surprise. BMW continues to regress. What was once such a great brand, miles ahead of their competitors is now almost gone.

BMW should be offering Carplay integration standard with the car, and the same for Android Auto. But BMW isn't interested in leading the field anymore, just nickel and diming their customers...
Appreciate 1
xlover2191.00
      01-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #108
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
My E36 has seamless Android integration. The head unit cost $120...

Progress?
So you're able to have Connected work for you? You're able to have the same integration with playing music that one gets with Apple? If you are, then BMW went backwards with my CIC implementation on my 2013 E82. Because I first tried to use my Samsung S5 when I first got the car and it was definitely not the same experience as my old first gen iPod Touch. Also, none of the Connected apps or integrations work with Android.

I skipped all this nonsense when I installed the BimmerTech rear view camera setup and added the SmartView module. Still use an iPod Touch for music. But for anything "connected", it's going through my S8 phone with the video being mirrored to my iDrive/nav screen. And I don't pay anything extra now or ever. Excuse me as I enjoy having Waze and Plex through my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #109
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep

Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
I won't have CarPlay in my next BMW even if it is free. It is terrible.
This, IMHO, iDrive has improved to the point where I don't use CarPlay. I ordered it as an option on my 2018 M4, but the new iDrive works well enough for me that I don't use the CarPlay option. As an aside, I was at my Dealer a couple of days ago and saw an M2 in the showroom with a sticker price north of $85k - totally ridiculous, BMW is continually decontenting their vehicles and pushing the prices up, option prices are simply stupid at present. It's usually the little things that drive customers from a brand - this is surely one of those. You can buy a Honda Fit for $19k with CarPlay included, I know because I am looking at the Fit for one of my children. My M4 came in just shy of $85k and I had to pay $300 for the CarPlay - it offers no conceivable benefit to me at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #110
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
I love Apple CarPlay on my S5. It works great.
Interesting. I'm going to assume it's exactly the same as any 2018 BMW. Maybe the Audi MMI doesn't cover all the essentials therefore making CarPlay more usable? The only real advantage it has over the BMW IDrive is the ability to text. Other than that, the IDrive does just about everything else (and better).