New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

[AutoCar]:BMW i3 and i8 might not be replaced

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Quote:
The electric vehicles division will continue to offer its own bespoke models and produce electric versions of standard BMWs. The iX3, due in 2020 (and based on the current X3, pictured below), will be the first of 11 electric BMWs to arrive by 2025, in preparation for which BMW has patented a list of nine i names. This included i4, which is expected to be a variant of the future 4 Series GT.

However, the bespoke i models will not form a complete range of cars, and the division will instead create individual vehicles to address a particular challenge or meet a specific demand.

To that end, the range of ‘pure i cars' built on bespoke architectures that are on sale at any given time could be just one model or many more than that. The determining factor will be which new technology BMW needs to showcase before applying it to its standard model range.

The i3 (pictured below) served to showcase BMW’s method of making its first electric car and the i8 showed how electric power could enhance performance. At the end of their lifecycles, their jobs will be considered done, which is why replacements are not formally in development or in BMW’s product plan.

“We're still deciding [about] the i8,” said i boss Robert Irlinger. “We see a market for new kinds of sports cars. Whatever it’s called, or if it’s a new kind of sports car, is still in discussion.”

BMW i design boss Domagoj Dukec compared the role of the i8 to the M1 supercar. He said: “It worked at the time, but why do it more than once? The i8 could be the M1 – it doesn’t have to always be a name at BMW. We always give an answer to what people and customers are requiring at that moment in time.”

As for the i3 hatchback, Irlinger said it “would be decided by time” if the model remained a success, but it will continue to be developed in its present state for now.

Dukec added: “With new i3 and i8, I don’t know; for now, we don’t think about it. For i, there won’t always be an i3, then an i3 after – i is not a parallel universe of BMW.”

The production version of the i Vision Dynamics concept car, which is set to arrive in 2021, has the internal codename i20. The model will be built on a development of BMW's rear-wheel-drive CLAR platform.

This is one of only two modular architectures BMW will use in future. The other, called FAAR and for front-wheel-drive models, is a next-generation development of the existing UKL platform that underpins the first wave of front-wheel-drive BMWs and the current Mini range.

All BMW models, built on either CLAR or FAAR, will be able to be equipped with a standard internal combustion engine, a plug-in hybrid system to electrify the axle that isn’t driven by the engine or a fully electric drivetrain.

The configurations will include a single motor on the front axle for the front-wheel-drive models and an optional one on the rear axle for four-wheel drive; a single motor on the rear axle for rear-wheel drive, with an optional one on the front axle for four-wheel drive; and a further one on the rear axle for four-wheel-drive performance models to create a car with more than 800bhp.

BMW will offer the electric motors in different ‘sizes’, with small 134bhp and medium 255bhp ones for entry-level electric vehicles and large 335bhp and extra-large 402bhp-plus ones for performance models.

Range could stretch from 186 miles to 435 miles, depending on battery size.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...ot-be-replaced
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:05 AM   #2
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Anyone have i3 and i8 sales figures?
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:19 AM   #3
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Check the threads that post monthtly sales figures, I'm pretty sure the i3 and i8 get separated out from the series cars. Are you still with BMW of Fairfax?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Check the threads that post monthtly sales figures, I'm pretty sure the i3 and i8 get separated out from the series cars. Are you still with BMW of Fairfax?
Not anymore. I've left the automotive industry and now in IT.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Drives: No BMW for now

According to what Automobile reported in an article last year, the i3 name will be migrated to the upcoming electric G20 3 Series. So, in the same way that iX1 through iX9 will be applied to the electric versions of BMW's SUVs, the i1 through i9 names will be applied to the electric versions of their passenger cars. The i8 name would therefore similarly move to an electric version of the 8 Series if and when such a vehicle is deemed market worthy.

As the above article mentions, BMW is moving away from the expensive specialized platforms that helped drive the business case for the "i" brand in its original form. The i brand will now predominantly be a sub-brand for BMW in the same way that M is - specially modified versions of the standard range of products.

As the article also notes, this does not totally rule out some distinct "i" models that share nothing with a standard BMW. I suspect that they are leaving the door open for a supercar. They had started developing something with McLaren, but have recently ended that project to take things in a different direction. Given that McLaren still primarily builds ICE vehicles, it seems likely to me that BMW decided they wanted to go with a design that was "born electric" and concluded there was not enough commonality with McLaren's current technology to make the partnership mutually beneficial in this case.
Appreciate 6
TI.3VOM73.50
BEM-S44514.50
spuntyb4051.50
SCOTT265304.50
jmg18493.00
clbmw631.00
      01-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
According to what Automobile reported in an article last year, the i3 name will be migrated to the upcoming electric G20 3 Series. So, in the same way that iX1 through iX9 will be applied to the electric versions of BMW's SUVs, the i1 through i9 names will be applied to the electric versions of their passenger cars. The i8 name would therefore similarly move to an electric version of the 8 Series if and when such a vehicle is deemed market worthy.

As the above article mentions, BMW is moving away from the expensive specialized platforms that helped drive the business case for the "i" brand in its original form. The i brand will now predominantly be a sub-brand for BMW in the same way that M is - specially modified versions of the standard range of products.

As the article also notes, this does not totally rule out some distinct "i" models that share nothing with a standard BMW. I suspect that they are leaving the door open for a supercar. They had started developing something with McLaren, but have recently ended that project to take things in a different direction. Given that McLaren still primarily builds ICE vehicles, it seems likely to me that BMW decided they wanted to go with a design that was "born electric" and concluded there was not enough commonality with McLaren's current technology to make the partnership mutually beneficial in this case.
All good points. Would only add that for such a big bet / paradigm shift like electric, the i vehicles we have now served their purpose as proof of concept quite well. Low volume? Yep. Quirky? Sure. Not quite there yet, especially in the case of the early i3s? Without a doubt. But they work and sell. And now it's easier to green light future projects.

Similar to Dr. P throwing huge dollars at things like the W8 engine they put in a Passat of all things that was a test case for real big boy stuff down the road - the Veyron just to name one.

Speaking of which - that W8 Passat should go on my list for a winter beater
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2 stroke

BMW really needs to put some forward thought into their naming system.

So future 3 series will be i325i or i325 instead of 325i? The i is an unfortunate choice of letter as it has historically stood for fuel injection.

Regardless, both "i" models have been total flops to date. I hope they put some performance back into these as BMW is really going down the wrong road these days. That is unless they are content to be the next German-Toyota or a replacement for VAG.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Were Rich and/or Brian in parts still there when you left?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Drives: '16 F82 M4

What happens when these electric variants don't sell? Is BMW going to start making "real" cars again or are they too far down the German Toyota rabbit hole?
Appreciate 3
      01-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #10
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post

So future 3 series will be i325i or i325 instead of 325i? The i is an unfortunate choice of letter as it has historically stood for fuel injection.
I think the naming convention they have for their current E-cars is a good one, they could just do it like Tesla with battery size.

electric 3 series = i3 (battery size)
electric 5 series = i5 (battery size)
electric X3 = iX3 (battery size)
etc.
Appreciate 1
SamS865.50
      01-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Well, Mo @ IT company , i am sure they appreciate the free advertising.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #12
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Well, Mo @ IT company , i am sure they appreciate the free advertising.
LOL I was just about to post that.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 07:57 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Only 488, i8's according to these guys...

i8 @ 04:20...

And... 6,276, i3's according to these guys...

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/bmw/bmw-i3/

With all that said... BMW has built over 100K cars(world wise sales) since the i-brand was launched.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #14
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post

Regardless, both "i" models have been total flops to date. I hope they put some performance back into these as BMW is really going down the wrong road these days. That is unless they are content to be the next German-Toyota or a replacement for VAG.
I8 is not a flop, its a niche car at a high price that few people can afford. I3 is a flop, but bmw is not surprised nor upset. They dont want to make electric cars at volume, its unfamiliar to them so they targeted a small market. The tesla demand is pushing bmw to go more mainstream with electrics but they are gritting their teeth in resistance, hoping and betting on tesla to fail at model 3. Will be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #15
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

the problem with the i3 is they made it very ugly. sure, this is an individual taste, but i have NEVER heard anyone say they like the way it looks. i've heard tons of people say its ugly. uglier than my smart car.
plus, they aren't willing to deal on the i3. when i was exploring leases, it was as much as a gas/diesel three series. no thanks.
6ixSpd5996.50
      01-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #16
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

The i3 or i8 are test cars and have been around since 2012 testing. Now BMW has E cars with lovely petrol engines so we have the best of both worlds. It's America who has cursed BMW and other manufactures to make E cars. Trump has talked about cancelling this crazy maximum miles per gallon due to become law and I hope he does.
      01-22-2018, 09:05 PM   #17
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

The entire i division has been a disaster for BMW. Years in making, billions of dollars spent, overhyped, under-delivering. On the bright side, I'm sure a lot of the R&D performed over the years will be useful in future models.

It's unfortunate for the i8 as such a beautiful design went to waste. We are talking Porsche GT3 and Audi R8 prices here for a car that puts up Boxster/Cayman performance. Price it $50K less and we are talking. Should have either went full electric or none at all.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      01-22-2018, 09:15 PM   #18
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The entire i division has been a disaster for BMW. Years in making, billions of dollars spent, overhyped, under-delivering. On the bright side, I'm sure a lot of the R&D performed over the years will be useful in future models.

It's unfortunate for the i8 as such a beautiful design went to waste. We are talking Porsche GT3 and Audi R8 prices here for a car that puts up Boxster/Cayman performance. Price it $50K less and we are talking. Should have either went full electric or none at all.
This is small dollars for BMW and a tax deduction. Be positive and look to what comes out next from BMW.
      01-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #19
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Sounds like sales are tanking. I wouldn't be surprised if they (BMW) had a corporate restructure near the end of the i8 lifecycle to help change focus and drive (no pun intended) sales towards a better path.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 09:46 PM   #20
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep

Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

The i8 looks sweet but the performance just doesn't back up the price. BMW has a couple years to juice it up before the Tesla Roadster destroys that niche, but it sounds like they just don't care.
Personally, I always felt that there was no need for an electric car to look like a spaceship or a goofy golf cart, so the new strategy sounds good to me.
      01-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #21
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
The i8 looks sweet but the performance just doesn't back up the price. BMW has a couple years to juice it up before the Tesla Roadster destroys that niche, but it sounds like they just don't care.
Personally, I always felt that there was no need for an electric car to look like a spaceship or a goofy golf cart, so the new strategy sounds good to me.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The i8 is a lawnmower in a supercar body
Appreciate 1
//m535i15.00
      01-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #22
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
What happens when these electric variants don't sell? Is BMW going to start making "real" cars again or are they too far down the German Toyota rabbit hole?
If they make real electric cars with good range(250+ miles), good acceleration(0 to 60 in lower 4s) in the same price range as the "legacy" cars, then it would definitely sell.
Appreciate 0