New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

04-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
EliasDiMichele
Registered
Rep

Drives: E39

E39 Newbie in need of advice

I purchased my 525i less than a month ago, previous to my purchasing it the valve cover gasket was replaced. Two days ago i opened the hood to check the fluid and noticed the coolant level float was well bellow the neck of the tank so I filled it to the appropriate level. Then after idling for a few minutes I noticed the leak on the top right hand side hose, at the elbow that connects directly to the top of the radiator. Yesterday I checked the leak again and it was still steaming and leaking from that elbow. I also noticed that there was an electrical plug undone on the same hose parallel to the radiator fan. I pulled the radiator hose off and didn't see any damage to it. My question; what is that plug and could it have anything to do with the leak?

Also, I'm using the mobile app I'm not certain if I posted this in the right place. And I'll have pictures up as soon as I figure that out.
Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Strada1198
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 X5 5.0 MSport Dinan S3

Garage List
2011 X5 5.0  [0.00]
Did you get any help on this? How many miles are on the car? Most of these need a full cooling system replace by 100k miles usually as early as 70k miles. Hoses, as you experienced are usually the first to go from what I was told.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
MplsBMW
Registered
Rep

Drives: E39 1997 528i

The radiator likely has a crack near the elbow. Sometimes cracks can be mended but usually most people are better off replacing the radiator. My car is on its' 2nd. It's made by BEHR. It wasn't horribly expensive, and was a quick fix. I had a repair shop do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Manny G
The Illustrious
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2003 540i/6 M-Sport, 2013 M5

The coolant reservoir is known to have leaks at the plastic seam welds also. If its not the radiator, its the reservoir. If it's neither, then you may be leaking coolant into the oil... check for white smoke from the exhaust or have a shop do an oil test for coolant contaminants
Appreciate 0