New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #133
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Oh and as for Austin and Nashville, small/medium sized cities but not too small. Outstanding night life and general things to do, solid job prospects too.

Not sure of the weather in Nashville but it may be too hot and Austin is fucking plenty hot. Austin is, by all reports, an outstanding city but congestion becoming an issue.

Beauty with Austin is you get the advantages of a blue city in a red state so win/win.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #134
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senilsson View Post
Look, the weather isn't the most important part. It's just a bonus
You plan to go home often? Remember if you have kids and shit you may need to travel back so a direct flight to stockholm would be ideal. Trust me, living away from family sucks balls. I go home from Toronto to Sydney every 18 months, what a cunt of a process that is.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #135
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: Soon BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
You plan to go home often? Remember if you have kids and shit you may need to travel back so a direct flight to stockholm would be ideal. Trust me, living away from family sucks balls. I go home from Toronto to Sydney every 18 months, what a cunt of a process that is.
There's no kids, just me.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #136
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Right now. This is a permanent move no?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #137
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right now. This is a permanent move no?
Well, yes sure. I misinterpreted the question.
That's way into the future and not really relevant right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #138
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

No you're wrong.

It will raise it's head and it will get ugly unless you plan for it now. It's one thing to go somewhere else on your own but having your mother cry herself to sleep each night because she cannot see her grandkids blows.

Make it work in Sweden.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #139
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No you're wrong.

It will raise it's head and it will get ugly unless you plan for it now. It's one thing to go somewhere else on your own but having your mother cry herself to sleep each night because she cannot see her grandkids blows.

Make it work in Sweden.
I don't understand you.
I just turned 24, I have no kids and have gotten this opportunity to move and work in another country. If it doesn't work out I can move home.
Are you saying that I shouldn't go because I might find someone and start a family in the future?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #140
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm saying think it through.

REAL hard. Go in eyes wide open.

Let's say you like it and settle down, kids arrive, how does your family see them? Ok so mum and dad stay with you for a while, what happens when they cannot travel anymore, what happens when mum gets sick and you're a day of travel away.

It will raise it's head at some point.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 12:34 AM   #141
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: G20

Best of both worlds in AZ. Hot but a dry heat. Sick of the heat? Head over to the other side where it is cooler / there is snow - snow is optional. Not too far from the Canyon. Granted the job situation is not the best. It feels like a relaxed state to me. Scottsdale is a liveable city... it seems quite relaxed compared with the hustle and bustle of other places... some other states are humid and the rush hour is crazy... besides you get to call your friends in January and tell them you are sun burnt. If you get bored of the dessert then the beach is 4 hours away and Vegas around 5. I like it because it is like life slows down a notch. Huge open roads... fair share of sporting events... and a few massive country events if you are into that music. Lot's of great places to eat... the shopping is good too... tax ain't too bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 01:57 AM   #142
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh and as for Austin and Nashville, small/medium sized cities but not too small. Outstanding night life and general things to do, solid job prospects too.

Not sure of the weather in Nashville but it may be too hot and Austin is fucking plenty hot. Austin is, by all reports, an outstanding city but congestion becoming an issue.

Beauty with Austin is you get the advantages of a blue city in a red state so win/win.
Thanks, I've seen a lot of people recommending Austin. I'll research the area.

Quote:
I'm saying think it through.

REAL hard. Go in eyes wide open.

Let's say you like it and settle down, kids arrive, how does your family see them? Ok so mum and dad stay with you for a while, what happens when they cannot travel anymore, what happens when mum gets sick and you're a day of travel away.

It will raise it's head at some point.
I appreciate your concern and get where you're coming from.
My visa interview isn't scheduled until October/November this year and it's not even 100% certain I pass it.
It has been a dream of mine for years to work abroad and learn another language to the fullest. I just don't see myself passing up on that opportunity.
"You regret the things you didn't do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
Best of both worlds in AZ. Hot but a dry heat. Sick of the heat? Head over to the other side where it is cooler / there is snow - snow is optional. Not too far from the Canyon. Granted the job situation is not the best. It feels like a relaxed state to me. Scottsdale is a liveable city... it seems quite relaxed compared with the hustle and bustle of other places... some other states are humid and the rush hour is crazy... besides you get to call your friends in January and tell them you are sun burnt. If you get bored of the dessert then the beach is 4 hours away and Vegas around 5. I like it because it is like life slows down a notch. Huge open roads... fair share of sporting events... and a few massive country events if you are into that music. Lot's of great places to eat... the shopping is good too... tax ain't too bad.
Sounds like a really nice place to live! Haven't considered AZ at all, thanks for opening my eyes!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #143
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Have you considered Alaska? You might feel right at home....weather wise at least.

So this is USA only then - not Canada?

I think you should consider your political leanings as well in picking a place to live. Without going too far into it, what are your views on that - while there are people of every political stripe in every state, most states as I understand it definitely lean to a certain party. At least usually. If you are very liberal, pick a liberal state - at least you won't be constantly offended by the government's actions and may even agree with them. Same thing if you are conservative.

Otherwise, good advice above. And Alstifi makes a reasonable point about family too, but you won't know till you have kids. But it doesn't mean don't try it, just realize that it may be a future issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #144
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Your issue is you don't want it too hot or cold which either leaves very red states (batshit crazy gun laws and stuff) or California (over populated, expensive and batshit crazy lefties).

The two are conflicting.

Also some of the the more moderate weather is in bumfuck nowhere.
Idk why you view things through such a political lens, it's a sign of the times I guess.

"Red" states like TX, GA, NC, and FL all have some good metros with booming economies. Likewise, not all of California is filled with crazy lefties. Orange County and San Diego County have been consistently "red" for decades now.

I lived in Seattle for a while and while the city itself is excessively liberal, the suburbs are solid purple and some of the wealthier ones right across the 520 bridge are even solidly red.

Moral of the story: don't view everything through a political lens.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #145
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
I appreciate your concern and get where you're coming from.
My visa interview isn't scheduled until October/November this year and it's not even 100% certain I pass it.
It has been a dream of mine for years to work abroad and learn another language to the fullest. I just don't see myself passing up on that opportunity.
"You regret the things you didn't do"
Do what you want man and experience life and the world. First time I ever moved out was 700 miles away from family, so I didn't get to see them often. Would get the "wish you were home", but in the end they were happy for the fact I took a leap and did something on my own, for myself.

Your family will always love you and miss you, but doing that helped shape who I am and I will always have those experiences to look back on. Now just in the past month, moved back closer to them, and see them way more often. Life always has a way of working out, do what you want to do and take a leap.

Also, opinion still stands. NC is the best. Everyone else is dumb.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #146
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Have you considered Alaska? You might feel right at home....weather wise at least.

So this is USA only then - not Canada?

I think you should consider your political leanings as well in picking a place to live. Without going too far into it, what are your views on that - while there are people of every political stripe in every state, most states as I understand it definitely lean to a certain party. At least usually. If you are very liberal, pick a liberal state - at least you won't be constantly offended by the government's actions and may even agree with them. Same thing if you are conservative.

Otherwise, good advice above. And Alstifi makes a reasonable point about family too, but you won't know till you have kids. But it doesn't mean don't try it, just realize that it may be a future issue.
USA only.
I think i would rather stay here than move to Alaska.

The thing is I don't have any references to what it means in the daily life to live in a red or blue city. As I've said before I am very liberal and very conservative depending on the subject.

I'm very easy going and don't get agitated easily, I think I can get along with most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Idk why you view things through such a political lens, it's a sign of the times I guess.

"Red" states like TX, GA, NC, and FL all have some good metros with booming economies. Likewise, not all of California is filled with crazy lefties. Orange County and San Diego County have been consistently "red" for decades now.

I lived in Seattle for a while and while the city itself is excessively liberal, the suburbs are solid purple and some of the wealthier ones right across the 520 bridge are even solidly red.

Moral of the story: don't view everything through a political lens.
Thanks, as said above I don't think I will have issues living in either of these places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
Do what you want man and experience life and the world. First time I ever moved out was 700 miles away from family, so I didn't get to see them often. Would get the "wish you were home", but in the end they were happy for the fact I took a leap and did something on my own, for myself.

Your family will always love you and miss you, but doing that helped shape who I am and I will always have those experiences to look back on. Now just in the past month, moved back closer to them, and see them way more often. Life always has a way of working out, do what you want to do and take a leap.

Also, opinion still stands. NC is the best. Everyone else is dumb.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

I've lived in the same place my entire life and it's time for some change. I don't want to wake up in 10 years in the same town wondering "what if". My parents aren't that old either, they can survive a few years..

NC is interesting, can you recommend a city/neighbourhood?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #147
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Drives: 335 e93

In NC, Charlotte, Ashville, or SC Columbia or Charleston would be the places to look. BMW North America headquarters is in Greenville SC near Ashville NC.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #148
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
You took the words right out of my mouth.

I've lived in the same place my entire life and it's time for some change. I don't want to wake up in 10 years in the same town wondering "what if". My parents aren't that old either, they can survive a few years..

Don't bother living with what if's. If you family is supportive, and you fall flat on your face, they are your backup plan and you can re-evaluate. OR you can listen to the nay sayers, stay home, and miss out on some potentially awesome opportunities.

I lived in the Raleigh area. Cost of living was very affordable, there is a good amount of industry whether it be medical or industrial for different types of work. If you enjoy being outdoors, the mountains are about an hour or two away, and the ocean beach was about 2 hours the opposite way. I never planned on moving away from my home state of MI, but if I were to move back anywhere, I would probably try and find a way back to NC.

Good luck with your decisions and whatever route you end up choosing. Keep us all in the loop.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #149
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
USA only.

In NC, there are three major population centers. These are very nice, with friendly people, good jobs, and the other things that make life worthwhile.

There are also the 'other areas'. If you're not into farming or dating your sister, it's better to stick to the three.

Research Triangle: (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) Three major universities, lots of tech & medical companies. Plenty of very nice places to live all throughout the triangle.

Charlotte: Banking is the major economic driver, but lots of professionals, 3 hours from mountains or beach, revitalized downtown , and beautiful suburbs. Four really nice living areas: North at Lake Norman, South at Ballantyne, and NorthEast in the University area, downtown if you prefer dining/nightlife and like the high-rise experience.

Greensboro: Smaller than the other two, with the benefits (less traffic, etc) of a smaller town. A bit farther from the beach, but still easily within distance for a weekend away.

Asheville gets a mention, only because so many people know about it and ask. Asheville has a great microbrewery scene, lively arts scene (and also the 'alternative' folk that accompany such a scene), but housing is crazy expensive (not much flat land to build housing on).

If you're into the beach life, you could also consider Wilmington, or coastal South Carolina (Charleston or Hilton Head/Bluffton).

I've just returned from a 3-year stint in California, and I've never been so glad to get back to someplace where neighbors are also friends.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM.
Appreciate 3
Axius4202.00
P111572.00
      05-19-2017, 04:08 AM   #150
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you, appreciate it. I'm in Italy on vacation now but will continue the quest for the perfect place when I get back. :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #151
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Sounds like a really nice place to live! Haven't considered AZ at all, thanks for opening my eyes!
I'll counter this one. My wife and I went to college in AZ, graduated and have never once considered returning even to visit friends.

The place is absolutely miserable in the summer. You go from your air conditioned home (which will be running in the morning when you leave) to your air conditioned car, to your air conditioned work; and do everything you can to avoid being outside.

I haven't been to Sweden, but I have been to Norway. I'm assuming that they are reasonably similar and would say that Arizona would be a major geographic/culture shock.

The good thing is you have a fair amount of time to research areas
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #152
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

It's fucking desert. Cannot fathom someone from Sweden being happy in that climate.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #153
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:

Austin is:
1) entirely too hot, it's unbearable
2) overcrowded
3) becoming a small version of Dallas
4) getting very expensive
5) a lot of competition for jobs, which drives down wages
6) not the live music capital of the world, despite what people say
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #154
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
In NC, there are three major population centers. These are very nice, with friendly people, good jobs, and the other things that make life worthwhile.

There are also the 'other areas'. If you're not into farming or dating your sister, it's better to stick to the three.

Research Triangle: (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) Three major universities, lots of tech & medical companies. Plenty of very nice places to live all throughout the triangle.

Charlotte: Banking is the major economic driver, but lots of professionals, 3 hours from mountains or beach, revitalized downtown , and beautiful suburbs. Four really nice living areas: North at Lake Norman, South at Ballantyne, and NorthEast in the University area, downtown if you prefer dining/nightlife and like the high-rise experience.

Greensboro: Smaller than the other two, with the benefits (less traffic, etc) of a smaller town. A bit farther from the beach, but still easily within distance for a weekend away.

Asheville gets a mention, only because so many people know about it and ask. Asheville has a great microbrewery scene, lively arts scene (and also the 'alternative' folk that accompany such a scene), but housing is crazy expensive (not much flat land to build housing on).

If you're into the beach life, you could also consider Wilmington, or coastal South Carolina (Charleston or Hilton Head/Bluffton).

I've just returned from a 3-year stint in California, and I've never been so glad to get back to someplace where neighbors are also friends.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM.
Excellent suggestions here. I have a lot of colleagues that live in the places you mention, and they all love it.
Appreciate 0