New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-09-2018, 12:40 AM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
These look so much better than the current version.
Absolutely. Plus a cooler motor and a manual. Wold love an R34.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:00 PM   #24
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
A R34 GTR Vspec is already nearly 100k in mint condition. So I expect it to cost quite a bit more in the future.

Also, for all the GTRs, most of the really good condition cars (original paint, no rust under the car, no bubble on the dash etc) have been snatched up by Australia and Canada already. The ones showing up in the US are quite a bit more pricey for a good one and most are just ok condition that needs some reconditioning. Keep in mind most GTRs in Japan are not garaged and are driven year round - including snow and ice.

My friend picked up a R32 GTR... he paid top dollar for it but it was all original, no rust and not driven in snow. Throw in about $10k in repairs and updates. The CARB approval process to make the car CA legal was another $15k.

You're looking at used R35 GTR costs for a R32 GTR. But it's worth every penny!
So much of this is spot on...

I lived in Canada for 9 years, and they were EVERYWHERE. Honestly everything from pristine show cars, to ratted out pieces of crap held together with zip ties for 8K.

The best thing to do would be to watch for sale ads in Canada, or import one up there, and store it for a few years between the import timelines, 10 years is a lot of wiggle room and time for nice cars to get snapped up.

There are probably people in B.C. and Alberta that would be willing to store cars for a fee, and keep them running and maintained.

Now you have me thinking, maybe I need to re-purpose the garage at our rental house in Calgary....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #25
Fakemike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 135i N54 MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
There are a lot in the central Florida CL.

Links to adds:

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d...451933418.html

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d...438835203.html

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d...424944763.html

https://lakeland.craigslist.org/cto/...451420253.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto...444754842.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto...439720840.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ctd...438220409.html

Looks like there is a place in Tampa that imports them:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/search/...nissan+skyline
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #26
indyn
Private
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i

While crossing the border in upper state NY, saw a guy importing a pristine R32 to stateside. Seemed to be a common process based on the communication between the importer and CBP. There are quite a few here in Canada, with CAD $ being low, good to time to buy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #27
Z K
Major General
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
So much of this is spot on...

I lived in Canada for 9 years, and they were EVERYWHERE. Honestly everything from pristine show cars, to ratted out pieces of crap held together with zip ties for 8K.

The best thing to do would be to watch for sale ads in Canada, or import one up there, and store it for a few years between the import timelines, 10 years is a lot of wiggle room and time for nice cars to get snapped up.

There are probably people in B.C. and Alberta that would be willing to store cars for a fee, and keep them running and maintained.

Now you have me thinking, maybe I need to re-purpose the garage at our rental house in Calgary....
The only problem is what condition the cars are now in Canada. They may have been mint coming into Canada but once it arrives it may have been modded or driven into the ground by the current owner. As with all used cars, no two are the same. I'd get them carefully inspected and get all the maintenance items taken care of.

Also, random things happen and getting parts is hard so plan a lot of down time in between repairs. My friend's R32 got a windshield crack from a rock hitting it... now it's a few months wait to get a windshield from Japan.

But for the R34, it's already 100k for one - more for rarer ones. Imagine the price skyrocket when it becomes able to import to the US.
      01-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #28
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
But for the R34, it's already 100k for one - more for rarer ones. Imagine the price skyrocket when it becomes able to import to the US.
Once they can be imported the price will decrease for sure. The road legal ones may stay the same or increase though.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #29
Z K
Major General
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
Once they can be imported the price will decrease for sure. The road legal ones may stay the same or increase though.
Decrease? It's $100k+ in Canada already. Once demand rises with importation to the US being legal, you will see the price increase.
      01-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #30
bizzleb109
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i convertible

You can try the boys at Kream Developments based in Rainham they be able to help. Google for there number they are located in Rainham Essex
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #31
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Decrease? It's $100k+ in Canada already. Once demand rises with importation to the US being legal, you will see the price increase.
Lol no. You cannot just say the demand will increase because they will be available. Once they become available supply will increase. When supply goes up demand goes down. As of today there is limited supply, so demand is higher. In 2025 supply will increase which would make demand decrease. They won't take a big hit because of nostalgia, but the price will in fact come down.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #32
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:
Lol no. You cannot just say the demand will increase because they will be available. Once they become available supply will increase. When supply goes up demand goes down.
LOL!!!

When supply goes up demand goes down?

Um no, when supply goes up prices go down. Demand remains unchanged.

Quote:
As of today there is limited supply, so demand is higher. In 2025 supply will increase which would make demand decrease. They won't take a big hit because of nostalgia, but the price will in fact come down.
Limited supply also does not mean demand is higher, it means prices are higher. Demand remains unchanged regardless of supply.

Increasing supply will not make demand decrease, again demand will stay the same, but prices will decline due to more supply being available.

In this case in 2025 the supply of R34s available for import may or may not increase, it will depend on the increase in demand of making them available for import in the US. If the demand increases because they can now be imported, prices will increase. Price increases may increase supply as more people may decide to sell their R34 and make them available for import - which cold drive the prices back down, depending on demand.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #33
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoxxx View Post
LOL!!!

When supply goes up demand goes down?

Um no, when supply goes up prices go down. Demand remains unchanged.

Limited supply also does not mean demand is higher, it means prices are higher. Demand remains unchanged regardless of supply.

Increasing supply will not make demand decrease, again demand will stay the same, but prices will decline due to more supply being available.

In this case in 2025 the supply of R34s available for import may or may not increase, it will depend on the increase in demand of making them available for import in the US. If the demand increases because they can now be imported, prices will increase. Price increases may increase supply as more people may decide to sell their R34 and make them available for import - which cold drive the prices back down, depending on demand.
Lol thanks I know what I was trying to say I just said it ass backwards. I guess I know why I got a b in econ now.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 11:33 PM   #34
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/

Love browsing this store's inventory from time to time, they often get really nice cars. I'm very curious to see what the MKIV Supras are going to cost. It's 2018, so we should see some 1993s start showing up soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #35
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
https://www.japaneseclassics.com/

Love browsing this store's inventory from time to time, they often get really nice cars. I'm very curious to see what the MKIV Supras are going to cost. It's 2018, so we should see some 1993s start showing up soon.
Why is this a thing? I mean, we got the Mk4 for the whole run. Why buy a RHD car that needs to be federalized? Is it just that every American yahoo single turboed theirs and no one can find a clean one?

I understand the interest in cars or even versions of cars we never got, but I'm unclear why I've seen a few folks mention the Mk4 Supra.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #36
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Why is this a thing? I mean, we got the Mk4 for the whole run. Why buy a RHD car that needs to be federalized? Is it just that every American yahoo single turboed theirs and no one can find a clean one?

I understand the interest in cars or even versions of cars we never got, but I'm unclear why I've seen a few folks mention the Mk4 Supra.
For me it has to do with the cost, I really don't want to spend the huge premiums that nice conditioned Supras (especially the 6MT versions) still command. There's no way in hell I'm going to pay $50k for a 25 year old car like the Supra. Now, if we can import them and get them out the door for say $25k or so, I'd be a lot more interested in having one just as a toy.

Price will dictate everything for me. If they want as much $$$ as LHD versions or just a bit less, I'll pass on the idea.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      01-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #37
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Am I the only one that would rather wait for an R33?
Appreciate 0