New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-27-2017, 10:27 AM   #45
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Lampredi was in charge of converting the racing Dino 196 motor to road car use. Of course, Lampredi had his hands on just about every Fiat and Ferrari motor of that era.
But afaik he didnt design the V6 from the dino 206/246
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #46
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Lampredi was in charge of converting the racing Dino 196 motor to road car use. Of course, Lampredi had his hands on just about every Fiat and Ferrari motor of that era.
But afaik he didnt design the V6 from the dino 206/246
As far as I can tell, no, he didn't design the 196 engine, but he was responsible for converting it to road duty. The Fiat Dino engine and the 206GT are identical, even though there was a claimed hp difference. Apparently they were directly grabbed off the Fiat production line and installed with no modifications.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #47
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Yes that engine is a design from Dino himself (and Jano).
But it sounded strange to call an engine a lampredi engine when he didnt design it and only adapted it to a less powerful spec, certainly in regard to that he did design multiple engines. When people talk about the 'Lampredi engine' they usually refer to his twincam I4 that was used over 30 years.

Its like talking about a busso and referring to a 50's F1 v12 engine. (and bringing up Busso: what an engine, probably the most beautiful v6 to look at from the modern era! Sounds really good too)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #48
FrostyDC4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: C63S Sedan|350Z

Garage List
2007 Nissan 350Z  [0.00]
2012 BMW 135i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaah View Post
Packaging yes.

Driving experience no.

^^^this I agree with

The V-6 car I have does not have a viscous coupling between the motor and the rest of the drivetrain so I can feel the individual firing pulses as I take it to 8200rpm (feels kinda gritty past 5k although it makes power to 7500rpm). The N55 feels turbine smooth by comparison.

Also the V-6 car has a decent set of multilinks up front with the majority of the drivetrain behind the front wheels. This wouldn’t be possible with an I-6.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 10:24 PM   #49
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Isn't that 23 ignitions per second? You can feel that, powder?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 01:58 AM   #50
FrostyDC4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 Nissan 350Z  [0.00]
2012 BMW 135i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Isn't that 23 ignitions per second? You can feel that, powder?

With any 6MT VQ35 or VQ37 you can feel it through the shifter at idle & at highrpm because of how the shifter is configured. That was one of the main criticisms of that powertrain.
      01-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #51
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyDC4 View Post
^^^this I agree with

The V-6 car I have does not have a viscous coupling between the motor and the rest of the drivetrain so I can feel the individual firing pulses as I take it to 8200rpm (feels kinda gritty past 5k although it makes power to 7500rpm). The N55 feels turbine smooth by comparison.

Also the V-6 car has a decent set of multilinks up front with the majority of the drivetrain behind the front wheels. This wouldn’t be possible with an I-6.

I'm gonna assume some of you haven't driven a R35 GT-R.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:26 PM   #52
damnitBobby
Major
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Meh. Had a e92 335i N55 for years and now have an Audi SQ5 with the new V6T. It's just as buttery smooth and has a very similar power band, with the V6T having a slightly better top end.

Had a VQ35HR in my 350z years ago and that motor was like a vibrating blender when revved up (but was a solid engine otherwise). But that's a thing of the past. Now you got those two MotorTrend reviewers making comments on how the V6TT in the Alfa QV feels smoother compared to the M3. And you've got Chris Harris saying the V6TT in the QV has a more linear power delivery compared to the M3.

Not a fanboy of any car make here. But it's funny to see you BMW fanboys over-analyze stuff and come to conclusions that don't align with reality at all. Now you have Cadillacs that handle dynamically superior to BMW's and Alfa's with better powertrains. lulz
Appreciate 3
      01-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #53
FrostyDC4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 Nissan 350Z  [0.00]
2012 BMW 135i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
I'm gonna assume some of you haven't driven a R35 GT-R.
I have lots of experience with the R35 GTR. Ideal engine placement & excellent driving dynamics but a little too 'clinical' for me.
      01-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #54
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
I always thought there was a torque advantage to the I-6, all other things being equal.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #55
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I always thought there was a torque advantage to the I-6, all other things being equal.
No not really.
But as especially bmw engine have a fairly long throw, they usually do give more torque than their v6 competitors that usually have an oversquared setup, especially in the lower rpm's (This goes mainly for NA).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #56
TampaF87
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M2

For packaging and displacement size, and crank rigidity, the V6 is going to be the ticket. Big displacement cylinders can't be lined up in a row without considerable length on top of a long block.

I6 is the way to go for driving experience (buttery smooth, inherently balanced), but crank length becomes a weak point at high power levels, and it requires a long front end, and placement can effect chassis dynamics.

Someone mentioned the Flat 6, which is great for chassis balance, and packaging but they still suffer from balance issues like opposed V engines do and they usually have oiling issues because, you know, gravity. This was a big problem on old airplane motors. Porsche has done really well with them, but Subaru is notorious for having ringland issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #57
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaF87 View Post
but they still suffer from balance issues like opposed V engines do
And what balancing issue might that be?
Remember, we're lining the i6 up to a v6, NOT a v12 (or a V8 for that matter)

Also crank rigidity isnt really a problem, as there are loads of v12's around, with way more force on the crank.
Look at how long cranks can get if you look at shipbuilding.
The key issue is using enough crank bearings. Other than that there is absolutely no reason why an I6 crank would be weaker than a v6 crank (certainly not with all the various split pin v6 cranks around)
Oiling issues only come down on using an inadequate oilpump, too small oil passages and such. I mean serving 2 banks on a v6 isnt an issue either is it?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #58
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyDC4 View Post
I have lots of experience with the R35 GTR. Ideal engine placement & excellent driving dynamics but a little too 'clinical' for me.
You can't be serious if you think a silky smooth linear inline six is more wild than a twin turbo v6.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #59
FrostyDC4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 Nissan 350Z  [0.00]
2012 BMW 135i  [4.50]
Quote:
You can't be serious if you think a silky smooth linear inline six is more wild than a twin turbo v6.
I was not talking about the drivetrain alone but the whole package. It was kinda dull and didn’t offer up any drama unless you were hooning around at 8/10+.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #60
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For packaging and displacement size, and crank rigidity, the V6 is going to be the ticket. Big displacement cylinders can't be lined up in a row without considerable length on top of a long block.

I6 is the way to go for driving experience (buttery smooth, inherently balanced), but crank length becomes a weak point at high power levels, and it requires a long front end, and placement can effect chassis dynamics.

Someone mentioned the Flat 6, which is great for chassis balance, and packaging but they still suffer from balance issues like opposed V engines do and they usually have oiling issues because, you know, gravity. This was a big problem on old airplane motors. Porsche has done really well with them, but Subaru is notorious for having ringland issues.

The number #1 type of engine in general aviation today is the horizontally opposed engine, Lycoming, Continental etc mainly because of reliability.

Most Inline6 M engines BMW designed have rod bearings issues, so.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #61
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
The number #1 type of engine in general aviation today is the horizontally opposed engine, Lycoming, Continental etc mainly because of reliability.

Most Inline6 M engines BMW designed have rod bearings issues, so.
I have a 18 year old Honda F6 Valkyrie Interstate 68,000 miles. Runs like a top. It's all in the engineering.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2018, 09:57 PM   #62
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

Nah.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #63
Blackraven
Captain
Rep

Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Hmm....
All this talk about 6 cylinder engines...........yet no mention of the VR6.

Anyways:
Rumors are that Volkswagen is working on a 400 HP version of this engine in one its Arteon prototypes (for a possible "R" performance version).

According to Mr. Martin Hube (product-line spokeman at Volkswagen), they said that their prototype with a new VR6 engine is currently undergoing evaluation.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #64
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Then there was Buick's straight eight... What a Fireball!

The first car I ever drove was a '48 Pontiac with a straight 8. I'll bet a few on this forum ever heard of this configuration since straight 8's have not been around since the 1950's. Since I was curious, I Googled it and found out that in the 50's Mercedes put a straight 8 in a formula one car and in the 300SL.

Our family '48 Pontiac was a hell of a car with "3 on the tree" and enough room in the back seat for......whatever. The good old days.

Last edited by sygazelle; 01-03-2018 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17199.00
      01-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #65
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:
Then there was Buick's straight eight... What a Fireball!

The first car I ever drove was a '48 Pontiac with a straight 8. I'll bet a few on this forum ever heard of this configuration since straight 8's have not been around since the 1950's. Since I was curious, I Googled it and found out that in the 50's Mercedes put a straight 8 in a formula one car and in the 300SL.

Our family '48 Pontiac was a hell of a car with "3 on the tree" and enough room in the back seat for......whatever. The good old days.
Just the very different 300SLR. Nothing like inboard discs to cool your inline 8.

[IMG]https://www.mdiecast.com/pictures/_u...639_M-076d.jpg[/IMG]

Oops, make that drums. Got ahead of myself.
[IMG]https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-co...SLR-5-1024.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11329.50
      01-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #66
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
A flat 6 is nothing more than an inline six laid down flat, which is why flat sixes are low vibration designs.
Nice post - just this one statement that isn't quite accurate - a flat six is actually a lot different than an inline six laid down flat - if an inline six was laid down flat, it'd have all six cylinders pointing/firing in the same direction, rather than three cylinders pointing in one direction and the other three in the opposite direction. It's also much shorter in length, as you pointed out a little later:

Quote:
The block is shorter because the cylinder spacing can be almost halved, but the crank pin positioning is the same as far as cancelling vibrations.