New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

07-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #23
kaishang
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2010 E90 330d

17 year olds getting an M3 or an M5 seems like a really, really stupid idea. Remember back to being 17. Your brain isn't fully wired up as an adult and there isn't a lot of driving experience either.

Both M3 and M5 cars are powerful and encourage driving fast, going around corners fast and accelerating fast. I'm sure a Corolla can also do 120mph, but Corollas won't get there from rest in 15 seconds. It a good way to get killed, kill your girlfriend or kill your friends.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #24
BallsoutE39
Rep

Drives: BMW 5 series

I have a 530i and it really is a good starter car, not really fast though and like the other poster mentioned-- Get a manual. You'll enjoy it more

I am now looking for an M5 though.

As far as maintenance goes, I havent spent spent anything on it besides tires, brakes, oil and when I took it into the dealer for a free inspection they gave me back a sheet saying, I kid you not, $11,000. It was before I got my brakes and tires so that was part of their crazy prices. The big problems include part of the cooling system (the main problem with E39s) and a leaking steering something.

What is the best way to get rid of this thing so I can move to an M5?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #25
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsoutE39 View Post
As far as maintenance goes, I havent spent spent anything on it besides tires, brakes, oil and when I took it into the dealer for a free inspection they gave me back a sheet saying, I kid you not, $11,000. It was before I got my brakes and tires so that was part of their crazy prices. The big problems include part of the cooling system (the main problem with E39s) and a leaking steering something.

OK - so you're E39 530i has problems, and you want to sell it to get a car that will likely have twice the problems? No doubt 'mint' M5s are out there, but they won't be cheap. Take your 530i to an independent repair guy, and I'm sure you can get it fixed for less than half the price you were quoted at the stealer. Consider getting some parts too from other places, like Bavarian Autosport, www.bavauto.com.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #26
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep

Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsoutE39 View Post
when I took it into the dealer for a free inspection they gave me back a sheet saying, I kid you not, $11,000.

Well, I would have bought it up until the time I read that it will cost me $11,000 to fix everything!

BMW CCA classifieds is a great place to sell your car. I found both of my M5s that way. What "cdmulders" said is true, good advice there.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #27
BallsoutE39
Rep

Drives: BMW 5 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
OK - so you're E39 530i has problems, and you want to sell it to get a car that will likely have twice the problems? No doubt 'mint' M5s are out there, but they won't be cheap. Take your 530i to an independent repair guy, and I'm sure you can get it fixed for less than half the price you were quoted at the stealer. Consider getting some parts too from other places, like Bavarian Autosport, www.bavauto.com.
I am not an E39 but I do have problems and all their quotes were way inflated. $1500 for rear brakes? I have taken it to an indy and have them working on some things now. The price of the maintenance on the m5 is not a big deal, it's more of the hassle of taking it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
BMW CCA classifieds is a great place to sell your car. I found both of my M5s that way. What "cdmulders" said is true, good advice there.
I didn't think of that, thanks. Been browsing Cars.com
Im not a member yet, any beauties on there currently?
Appreciate 0