New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #23
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: mustang

The thing I wonder is it focused solely on be a track car? the review seems to portray it as being very capable on the street as well. Will the new M3 be comfortable enough on the street to make it worth sacrificing the power loss.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #24
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I was talking M3 CSL. Its been confirmed its coming. So whatever the M boss had it mind, he needs to start from scratch! 10k over msrp? haha. This car will cost just as much as the Porsche 911 Turbo for at least a couple of years.
The M3 CSL will need to pick up a lot of slack to just catch the skyline. The old M3 was viewed as a great car, costing less than the z06 it wasnt really in competition and didnt need the performance to match. The Skyline is bridging that gap falling in the middle and still able to beat the current z06. When the new z06 comes out all nissan needs to do is increase boost and itll catch right up but its already very close to the numbers Ive seen the new z06 is shooting for. I dont believe the e46 M3 CSL was that much better then the M3 that a CSL to the same caliber will get close to the Skyline.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #25
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Called my local stealership and they'll be charging $10k over msrp.
Dealers can say whatever they want over the phone. I would get that in writing. The mark-ups on the Z06 were easily over 10k.
      12-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #26
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
1. They use a different ratings system in Japan. It's RON and not octane so 98 RON is around 94 octane.
In the US we use (RON+MON)/2 rating, have a look at the pump next time you fill up. In Japan and even Europe i believe they use RON rating, both are octane fuels just measured differently.

The GT-R definitely looks quite fast, but its not necessarily better than the 911 TT or the M3. Let us see enthusiasts in the US get the US version and then we'll see that the GT-R is really capable of doing. The TT and M3, hell, everything from these two except the GT2 and GT3 are complete cars that can be driven on long trips or at the track. We will see if the GT-R is a complete car or one-dimensional.
      12-19-2007, 06:29 PM   #27
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

For some of you who wet yourselves over performance figures this may not make much sense, but there is a concept of too much performance. If you live and breathe at the track, the GT-R is probably a great machine but on the road, I would much rather be revving the hell out of the M3's V8 as opposed to staring at calculations of boost pressure and diagnosing every last nanometer of the all-wheel drive system.
      12-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #28
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
...to me, the GT-R has nothing in it that extracts the emotion that an M3 or 911 do.
A street car with a 3.3 second 0-60mph time will extract a lot of emotion.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 02:55 AM   #29
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Drives: people crazy

A lot of people are dismissing the point of speculating on pure figures which is fine, but isn't that exactly what we've all done with the 1 coupe? How many here have actually driven 1? I see the GTR in the same vane as the 1er, for the money, it seems to be the best all around performing car in it's segment.

Where I think the GTR absolutely falls on its face, is the interior. God awful. Comparatively speaking yes its cheaper than its competitors, but by no means cheap. Nissan needs to step that up in future offerings. If someone could combine the skin of the S5 with the guts of the GTR, wow, just wow.

Good quote that certainly makes me put the GTR on the list though from another Edmunds article: For all-round ability, I have no doubt the Nissan is the best car I've ever driven. It is almost as fast as the Porsche — which means it's almost as fast as any car on earth — and inspires more confidence through corners, yet it's also more roomy and practical and has a proper modern gearbox... This car has no competitors. Not at any price. But that won't prevent one of the first GT-Rs in Europe from being bought by an anonymous man and taken to Porsche AG in Stuttgart for a thorough examination. With an even more powerful and lighter V-Spec GT-R on the way, Porsche can't afford to lag behind for long.

As a huge fan of the M3, I honestly don't know if I could still buy my M3 over this car. All the same everyday practicality, but will absolutely destroy it any any race, street or track. Period, full stop. Styling is of course an objective thing, I don't like the styling of the GTR in or out to be quite honest, but the drag coefficient of this car is insane and performance has always made me overlook a lot of things. I still can't say I'm in love with the look of the 1er coupe e.g., but I still think it is a kick ass car.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #30
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus View Post
A lot of people are dismissing the point of speculating on pure figures which is fine, but isn't that exactly what we've all done with the 1 coupe? How many here have actually driven 1? I see the GTR in the same vane as the 1er, for the money, it seems to be the best all around performing car in it's segment.
We do the same thing with any car that we have an opinion of, yet haven't driven. I can only base my opinion on what I know and not what I am told to expect.
      12-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #31
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love View Post
In the US we use (RON+MON)/2 rating, have a look at the pump next time you fill up. In Japan and even Europe i believe they use RON rating, both are octane fuels just measured differently.

The GT-R definitely looks quite fast, but its not necessarily better than the 911 TT or the M3. Let us see enthusiasts in the US get the US version and then we'll see that the GT-R is really capable of doing. The TT and M3, hell, everything from these two except the GT2 and GT3 are complete cars that can be driven on long trips or at the track. We will see if the GT-R is a complete car or one-dimensional.
Point is 98 ron and 98 octane aren't the same. Sorry if that didn't come across in my first post.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #32
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep

So nissan is making a V-Spec versions and the standard GTR already kicks ass, thats insane. A M3 CSL may be sick but it wot be enough especially if the GTR is the end.
Appreciate 0