New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

01-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Colorado Vail and Breckenridge tips

Hi all. I do a once a year westcoast boarding trip and this year Colorado was the winner. Past two years have been at whistler and lake Tahoe.

I'm trying to organize my schedule and mountains to hit up. I am staying in the town of Breckenridge. My initial goals on my 6 day trip was to do 2 days at breck and 2 days at vail and 1 day at keystone.

Now is 2 days for vail not enough? It is worth it not to go to keystone and spend another day at vail? The mountain seems massive with a front and back side. I know at whistler even 4 days wasn't enough.

Any other tips as dining and other activities worth doing? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep

Drives: 22 M4C

I’ve been to most in that area and seem to keep going back to Vail the most. You can get lost in the back bowls. In a good way of course. You never need to take the same trail twice. Keystone is nice but I would do Breck which also has a ton of trails if your black/blue type. Vail would be the other 2/3 day and be done.
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      01-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladiatorOwner View Post
I’ve been to most in that area and seem to keep going back to Vail the most. You can get lost in the back bowls. In a good way of course. You never need to take the same trail twice. Keystone is nice but I would do Breck which also has a ton of trails if your black/blue type. Vail would be the other 2/3 day and be done.
Appreciate the tip. I really wanted to go to Telluride but its so far and nothing else in that area.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Been a few years but used to frequent the area. I agree w/ Gladiator, I'd skip Keystone. Great place for families/less experienced skiers/boarders. Vail and Brec are where I'd focus though if you don't mind a fairly short drive beyond Keystone, I was always a big fan of A Basin. Also like Copper Mountain, seemed less crowded than Vail and is between Brec and Vail.
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      01-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Been a few years but used to frequent the area. I agree w/ Gladiator, I'd skip Keystone. Great place for families/less experienced skiers/boarders. Vail and Brec are where I'd focus though if you don't mind a fairly short drive beyond Keystone, I was always a big fan of A Basin. Also like Copper Mountain, seemed less crowded than Vail and is between Brec and Vail.
+1 on Copper mountain, although it is at a lower elevation than the place I usually ride so beware of the ice. The last time I was at Copper it was SUPER icy and took the fun out of it. There is a huge bowl on the backside of Copper, you have to take a lift to the top and then a tow rope will take the rest of the way up. I find Keystone to be a bit too crowded with newbies/vacationers/yadda yadda. I went there once and that was enough for me. Family has a condo in Leadville that I go to every winter. Enjoy your time in CO.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
blue-mw
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

I'd skip Keystone. I've heard great things about Beaver Creek, so it could be worth exploring if you have an extra day.

When are you planning the trip? The mountains have taken off slowly so I would check forecasts and try to maximize your chances for fresh powder. If staying in Breck, try C.B. & Potts, Blue River Bistro, Breck Brewery & Pub, or Piante Pizzeria (NY-inspired).
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      01-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-mw View Post
I'd skip Keystone. I've heard great things about Beaver Creek, so it could be worth exploring if you have an extra day.

When are you planning the trip? The mountains have taken off slowly so I would check forecasts and try to maximize your chances for fresh powder. If staying in Breck, try C.B. & Potts, Blue River Bistro, Breck Brewery & Pub, or Piante Pizzeria (NY-inspired).
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm leaving in 2 days and booked it months before so planning on powder wasn't really a option.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Appreciate the tip. I really wanted to go to Telluride but its so far and nothing else in that area.
Telluride and Steamboat rock. Beaver Creek sucks.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep

Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

Skip Keystone, it's more of a locals grab anyways (kids from Boulder and Fort Collins)

Breck is definitely fun, Vail is a good trip ender so I would definitely do 3 days at Vail. I think the mountains are finally up to where the should be (not like the last two years but not far off)

I was thinking about planning a last minute trip in February if I can find a way to do so.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 03:32 PM   #10
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neliconcept View Post
Skip Keystone, it's more of a locals grab anyways (kids from Boulder and Fort Collins)

Breck is definitely fun, Vail is a good trip ender so I would definitely do 3 days at Vail. I think the mountains are finally up to where the should be (not like the last two years but not far off)

I was thinking about planning a last minute trip in February if I can find a way to do so.
Thanks but I already came back. I actually liked Keystone.
Go to Vail all the back bowls are open and they also opened up new terrain.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Way back when, my aunt/uncle gave me and my new bride their cabin in east Vail for a wedding present and we went for the honeymoon. I kept seeing all the commercials on TV to come ski Vail's back bowls. But the new wife had never skied before, so. . .

We were falling her way down some bunny slope and she kept referring to this skier charm she had seen in the village. "If you can get on the lift, off the lift without jerking my shoulder out, and ski all the way back down to the lift line, we'll go get the charm." Never seen ANYONE pick up skiing so fast!

I've still never been back to actually ski. Current wife doesn't ski either.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:24 AM   #12
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Way back when, my aunt/uncle gave me and my new bride their cabin in east Vail for a wedding present and we went for the honeymoon. I kept seeing all the commercials on TV to come ski Vail's back bowls. But the new wife had never skied before, so. . .

We were falling her way down some bunny slope and she kept referring to this skier charm she had seen in the village. "If you can get on the lift, off the lift without jerking my shoulder out, and ski all the way back down to the lift line, we'll go get the charm." Never seen ANYONE pick up skiing so fast!

I've still never been back to actually ski. Current wife doesn't ski either.
There are great snow mobile trails if you're up for that. Your wifey would love Colorado springs. About a 2 hour drive from vail.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:32 AM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Current wife loved Vail, just not SKIING Vail. More times than not we have been there during non-winter months

During that first honeymoon, we did go on a dinner snow mobile ride. That was quite enjoyable.
Appreciate 0